First day of semi-solids; am I eating too much?

ruggie
on 7/21/11 12:59 pm - Sacramento, CA
I'm two weeks out of surgery now, and cleared to eat semi-solid foods. Little bites are filling me up and then feeling better after a minute or two. Is this too much for dinner at first? I'm wondering since Im getting full for a minute after most bites.

I ate a one ounce jar of baby food (blended chicken and chicken broth) and a small poached egg. And I do mean "small" - my coworker farms chickens and she brought me little bitty eggs from her pullet hens; they are about the size of half a large egg. I ate both the ounce of baby food and the little poached egg in about a half hour.

Thanks for any feedback.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

frisco
on 7/21/11 1:18 pm
I was on a half of scrambled egg for a few weeks.

Give Alicia a call.....

Frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Ariana_Rose
on 7/21/11 1:25 pm - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with
It's my first day on semi-solids too. I was able to get down 1/2 a scrambled egg and two small bites of creamed spinach.
"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring." - St. Catherine of Sienna

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 1:35 pm
Your description of the feeling of the little bites is just like what I had.. I was able to eat about 2 of cottage cheese.. and it would take me 30 mins. Same or less for refried beans.. Slow bites, it was the only way to go for a while. Bantam eggs are small (1oz ish) - so it sounds like you ate 2oz total, sounds about right.

I couldn't eat a whole large egg for some weeks.. but eggs fill many of us up faster. To me, it sounds like you did fine with the right portion. If you didn't have discomfort- you def didn't overeat.. it is very easy to go past that point especially at first and get that too full feeling.

Alba
on 7/21/11 1:39 pm - Renton, WA
Nice to know I'm not the only one who can only eat half an egg!!
Alba Tross
         "Fake it til you make it."

Birdie55
on 7/21/11 1:41 pm
I wasn't able to eat that much at 2 weeks, but you might have a longer stomach than I do.  He had to clean up a bunch of adhesions when he did my surgery so i think I had a lot of swelling too.  I could barely drink 2 protein drinks a day at 2 weeks...and only a couple of bites of cottage cheese at the most.  It was a month before I could eat a whole egg and that took awhile too.  

According to Dr C's guidelines, at phase 2 (page 12) you should not eat more than 4 oz at a time...so I think you're ok with what you ate.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

ruggie
on 7/21/11 2:02 pm - Sacramento, CA
These little eggs really are the perfect size; it's too bad they aren't available at stores, but really no one would buy them in appreciable quantities. I should take a picture of the next poached egg I make.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Birdie55
on 7/21/11 2:19 pm
We do like food pictures.  :-)

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 161 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 433 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op