Something to think about before next trip to dentist

chunkymonkey1991
on 7/21/11 6:01 am
A couple of years ago I broke my hand and had to have pins put in temporarily to make sure it would heal right. Today I went in and they asked if I still had the pins in. I said no but asked why. They said that if you have metal in your body then the bacteria that could come from a teeth cleaning can give you a bad infection and that if you do have metal in your body then you need to let them know and get an antibiotic before your teeth cleaning.

Has anyone else heard of this? I assume that the staples left in our body from the sleeve count as a metal so once I get my sleeve I'll let them know. This is such a weird connection - sleeve and dentist - but I guess it makes sense...
USAF Wife
on 7/21/11 6:03 am
I have 2 titanium screws in my left knee for the last 16 years, and dozens of teeth cleaning in that time period. Not once have I had to go on antibiotics due to the titanium screws in my knee, and the staples in my stomach are way smaller than the huge screws in my stomach.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

rdd9348
on 7/21/11 6:33 am, edited 7/21/11 6:38 am - OR

You have huge screws in your stomach??!!  I thought you had something/someone else huge in there. 

I know you were just typing fast, but it's an interesting image.  I'm visualizing her doing weight lifting using the screws as barbells.
Highest-285, Start WLS Program-267, Surgery-245, Current-196, Goal-148 
                                   Short Term Goal - Under 185 by 10/15/11           
USAF Wife
on 7/21/11 7:46 am
It says knees LOL I thought pregnancy brain had really kicked in.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

wert
on 7/21/11 7:51 am - MN
I have huge screws in my stomach, too. They set the metal detectors off at the airport every time I go to work.

Just kidding... 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 6:11 am, edited 7/21/11 6:11 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

Any place that is a weak place in your body has more of a chance of being harmed by ANY infection - even if you scrape your knee - infection can get in and travel to the weak spot.  That's why folks with heart murmurs need antibiotics before dental work, because if they get infection, infection being a thing that LOOKS for where it can do the most harm, will travel to the weak place. 

So, its not just metal, its a weak spot in your system.

Chalk
on 7/21/11 7:44 am - TN
VSG on 01/09/12
I have had a total hip replacement & had to take antibiotics before dental visits for 2 years afterward. That was 7 years ago & I no longer need to take them.

If you are worried, I would talk to the surgeon or dentist. They would know what the recommendations are.

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

AuntieLoLo
on 7/21/11 7:48 am - VA
VSG on 12/20/10 with
I have a metal plate, 6 pins and a huge screw in my left ankle, courtesy of the Italian health care system, after I fell from a bus in Siena 4 years ago. I have had, since returning to the States 2 years ago, more dental work than you can shake a stick at. Never once has my dentist (whom I have been seeing for more than a decade) made me take anything for a cleaning, which happens every 3 months...
ashmiddy
on 7/21/11 9:10 am - OH
I am a dental hygienist and yes we do require patients with artificial joint replacements or artificial valve replacements to take an antibiotic for a cleaning. Usually it is the first 2 years but some orthopedic surgeons are now requiring patients to take pre med for life. Patients with heart murmurs are no longer required to take pre med. I have never worked for a dentist that required pre med for pins, plates, or screws. So I am sure sleeve patients are just fine to have a dental cleaning with out taking a pre med. Hope I was some help!  :)
chunkymonkey1991
on 7/21/11 9:14 am
yea, i guess i'll ask but not be worried. they way they put it was just "if you have metal in your body you need an antibiotic before a cleaning", so i was wondering about the staples in us. i'm sure this is just one of the many things that i've never thought of that will pop up after being sleeved.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views