Recovery and kids

MomTo3Monsters
on 7/25/11 7:58 am - Frederick, MD
VSG on 08/02/11 with
How did you do it?
My husband will be home for the first 2 weeks, so, I'm OK there. But, once he goes back to work, I'll be on my own with my 3 girls. They're 6 1/2, 3 and Alyssa turns 1 on 8/11. Its Alyssa that concerns me. She doesnt walk, but she crawls everywhere. But, what about getting her in and out of her crib? In and out of the highchair? School starts back up end of August and theres no bus that comes to our house, so, my oldest needs to be driven everyday to and from. I'll be 4 weeks out then, but, I'll still need to lift Alyssa in and out the truck.
Dr said def not to lift her in the first 2 weeks. Shes about 25lbs, so, shes a good size. I wont be able to have my mom come everyday, and my mother in law is useless.

This is bugging me so much! Any suggestions?
foodlover
on 7/25/11 9:10 am

Do you have friends from church or something?  I would have been lost the first month without help.

MomTo3Monsters
on 7/25/11 9:16 am - Frederick, MD
VSG on 08/02/11 with
Not really. Everyone works. I have a good friend of mine that can come over some, and I may be able to get my 15yr old sister in law to come help when they get back from vaca around the 20th. Shes a much better help than their mother. Funny how she drops whatever shes doing for my brother in law and his family...but whatever.
Onedaysoon
on 7/25/11 9:39 am - PA
I wish I advice for you, but I'm having the same concerns! Like you, I have 3 kids ages 7, 3 and 1. My husband will also be off for 2 weeks but then I am on my own again. I'm worried, but cautiously optimistic that surgery will go well and I will feel really good afterward......not much else to do! Good luck!
~Carly~
~

MN_Mama
on 7/25/11 9:52 am

It's good you have your hubby to help for the first couple of weeks.  Maybe you'll be able to lift her by then, and plan on doing it in a smart way.  

I was able to lift quite a bit if I was sitting.  I brought the office chair with wheels into the kitchen so I could lift the pots, pans and rummage around the fridge without bending and stooping.  

Alyssa may have to nap on a sleeping bag on the floor, or next to you on the couch for a few days.   If you are limber enough, bring the food down and picnic on the floor with her instead of lifting her up to the chair.   Or get one of the walkers with a tray, you can sit in a chair and she can stand in front of you.  She won't mind.  Kids love an adventure like that.

Check with the school district about ride options, perhaps your neighbor can take the kids for August, and you can get the whole brood to school in September once you're recovered.  Maybe hire a baby sitter just for drop off and pickup times for a week or so until you can get the baby in and out of the truck, or perhaps Dad can work his shift to get your oldest to school and your relatives can get her home?    Even if he has to go to work earlier, maybe she could attend before or after school care just for a week or so until you can pile the kids into their carseats again. 
Don't forget to check with your insurance company, they may have resources too.

Good luck, I'm sure it will work out. 

Lovevsg
on 7/26/11 9:52 am
I had the same concern when I had my surgery 5 months ago. In my case I have a 6 year old and a baby that was 8 months at the time. What I did was stay with my mom a few days after surgery and then went home when my husband was going to have a few days off. I ended up having to take care of the kids by myself less than two weeks after surgery. What I did was only carried the baby in and out of the crib and had a blanket on the floor where I told him to lay down when it was time for a diaper change. I don't recomend anyone to lift before its ok with their doctor because I know its risky but in my case I had no choice and I was perfectly fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 294 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views