2 months out - 56 lbs gone!

Jose.D
on 1/21/12 1:27 am - NY
Today is my 2 month surgiversery! I thank God for giving new the courage to have made the best decision for my health.

While not glamorous and not the easiest of journeys, I feel awesome! I'm down 56 lbs! My confidence is through the roof! I'm full of energy all the time!

I followed the diet plan below to a "T" :

http://www.muhealth.org/documents/bariatric/Bariatric%20Booklet%20VSG.pdf

I have no restriction now and I'm careful with what I eat. Still nothing with sugar, limited carbs, I'm Latino so rice to us mandatory, lol, nothing crazy like one or two spoonfuls.

I psychologically don't miss any foods, no cravings.

everyday I do the following:

- 25 gram protein shake, Robb Joy (strawberry the best)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, (I can't all of it but about 75%), 2% milk cheddar cheese bar
- small amount of a lean meat, this past week I had a child size mini burger, one meatball from Eataly, 4 Oz of turkey meatloaf
- I snack another cheese bar with some crackers
- dinner is whatever is cooked at home, no more than 4 Oz, I bought a digital scale and weigh everything

I'm providing lots of detail, in particular for the benefit of the newbies and those around my surgery date.

I trust this will help a few if you!

Thanks to the veterans, your posts have definitely help guide me along the way.

Go Giants!!!

Jane B.
on 1/21/12 1:32 am - Strathmore, Canada
VSG on 01/11/12 with
Really?  After only 2 months you have NO restriction? 
HW: 243 SW:228 GW:160
"I want to really live, not just be putting in time"    

michael B.
on 1/21/12 1:34 am - MA
VSG on 03/19/12
 Jose, good input man. I too am starting out at 316lbs but am scheduling surgery for after the Super Bowl...when the Pats beat the Giants!  Great job and good luck.
Burnsy  (ticker starts 2wks pre op)                        
Jose.D
on 1/21/12 1:48 am - NY
@Jane, I have restriction with the size of my sleeve of course. I have no food restriction. I police myself, meaning I dint eat anything crazy, nothing fried, limited carbs, no sugar etc...

So yes I have no restriction directed by my doctor or nutritionist.

Barbara W.
on 1/21/12 2:53 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
Thank you for all the details.  I am writing down everything offered to help me after I have surgery.  This information will be very helpful.

Lynnww666
on 1/21/12 4:45 am - Canada
Great work Jose.... you are doing super well.
Just out of curiosity, when you say 'whatever is cooked at home' for your supper, what sort of things does that allow for? Do you eat many beans or what have you, just limiting the portions or do you stick to the proteins. I sometimes long for a few more carbs of the beans or vegetable category, not the donut or cake kind (well I long for those too... lol ... but they are NOT gonna happen!)
Keep up the good work.
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

cbz1815
on 1/21/12 6:29 am
 JEALOUS!  I'm 3 days ahead of you and only down 36lb.  You are a man so rapid lose is normal.   Sounds like you are doing great and I celebrate with you!
 http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/1002835/tickers/cbz18154ffc4e0ad3061cc9a4a78b5c152e9570.png?1322016825
Jose.D
on 1/21/12 6:51 am - NY
@Lynn, typical Dominican/Latino dinner consist of a protein whether its chicken, beef in. all its forms and cuts, or pork, accompanied with rice and beans. I'll measure out 4 Oz of protein a spoonful of rice and drench the rice with soupy beans.... If no rice and beans I will accompany my protein with some type of starch, whether its mashed potato or sweet potato, or smashed Plantains (which is really typical Dominican starch).

The reason I chose the sleeve is because I needed to keep my diet as close to my traditional cultural foods as possible...just Hellava lot less...

So glad I made this decision!

MareTallama
on 1/21/12 9:23 am - NY
VSG on 01/03/12
Hi Jose, we had our sleeves done in the same practice!! It's so encouraging the hear how far you've come in just two months. And yes, the nutritionist in the office is very liberal with the diet, but she stresses it's up to us to portion control and make good choices. That's what life is all about.
HW & SW: 251 CW: 166 GW: 145  Month 1: -24lbs  Month 2: -11lbs  Month 3: -13lbs Month 4: -10.8 lbs.
Month 5: - 11.2 lbs  Month 6: -9 lbs  Month 7: -6 lbs

Jane B.
on 1/21/12 9:44 am - Strathmore, Canada
VSG on 01/11/12 with
Okay, I see I just misunderstood the statement regarding restriction.  Good to know your sleeve is working as it should.  I am only a week and a  half out so I am still on clear fluids (the kind of restriction you were talking about).  Thanks for clearing that up and keep up the great work!
HW: 243 SW:228 GW:160
"I want to really live, not just be putting in time"    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views