Newbie looking for any insight and recommendations

Kimchi829
on 8/2/11 12:42 pm - PA
Hi everyone, I am a newbie to the forum. Just obtained my surgical date for VSG today. August 29th is the big day.  Looking for any info on the surgery itself.  I think this is the biggest concern I have, as I have only had surgery on my hand and tonsils.  So, what can I expect when I get in there?
Thanks for your input.
Kim

IrishColleen
on 8/2/11 1:16 pm - Owosso, MI
 Welcome and great decision you just made for yourself!

If you're wondering about the actual surgery there is a video on youtube search VSG surgery.

If you're concerned about restriction, diet, what to eat when, what to take to the hospital, etc., all questions regarding VSG check out Sublimate's post - go to the search area at the top right of the screen and type in Sublimate

She has a lot of links that are very helpful.

I had my surgery 6.28.11 and I was very fortunate to have absolutely no complications, no problems drinking, very little pain which lasted not even one full day while in hospital - stopped Decadron after 12 hours, 

Just ask specifically and everyone will be very happy to answer

Good luck on your journey and we'll save you a spot on the loser's bench!

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
Kimchi829
on 8/3/11 12:36 am - PA
Thanks for the info. I've seen lots of videos on the surgery itself, but I was curious about all the stuff they don't show. Befores and afters. I am a nervous ninny when it comes to hospitals.

See you on the loser's bench....I like that and look forward to it.
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 1:25 pm
Don't worry. The surgery is not much different from any other surgery. You are put on a cot and they start the IV. My family was allowed to stay with me for this part. After a while they will start the "I don't care" medicine and move you into the pre-op area. The surgeon and anesthesiologist will come and talk to you. (The nurse and technician came and talked to me too). They will move you into the operating room and you will slide over onto the OR cot. The anesth. will tell you when she starts the big meds and then she will put the breathing mask on you and the next thing  you know you will be hearing them say, "Wake up, your sugery is over. Everything went great." They will ask you to rate your pain and they will start pain meds and wheel you up to your room where your family will be waiting for you.

The first night was the hardest for me. Nausea and quite a bit of pain from the gas they pump into you. Just don't wait until it gets too bad to ask for meds. Unless you have a pump you can push yourself. I didn't and always waited too long and got really uncomfortable before the nurse brought the magic potion. After the pain meds kick in you should get up and walk the halls for a while and pee. They pump so much saline into you that you will pee like a racehorse.

The next day (or later that day if your surgery is really early) you will be taken for a leak test. You just drink some bad tasting stuff (but you only have to swallow a little bit) and they look at your stomach. If everything looks good and you can keep fluids down you will probably go home the next day. If you're in a lot of pain or have a lot of nausea they will keep you longer.

At least that's how it was for me. The surgery was really not a big deal. I thought I would be a lot more sore but after the 1st couple of days I was up and around and just a little tender. The more you move and walk the better. 

Good luck! You will do great! The waiting is the hardest.
Kimchi829
on 8/3/11 12:39 am - PA
Great info, thanks for taking the time to post for me.  I do appreciate it. You said you peed like a race horse??? Did they not put a foley in? I have seen many videos that say they might do it. Curious if that's required.
Thanks again!
BriarRose
on 8/2/11 2:10 pm
My best advice is to do what I did. I went back and read a few hundred posts....well, maybe more than a few hundred. Then I went and looked for people who had public blogs, and I read a hundred of those.

By that time I had a pretty good idea of what most folks are dealing with. Then I could better formulate my questions, and not ask the same things that everyone else had already asked; and had been answered in past posts.

Then, I asked specific questions about what I did not understand.

Basically, ask questions of your surgeon, attend any and all classes or orientations they offer, attend any and all support groups and ask more questions of the nurses and nutritionist, and whatever support staff are avaliable to you.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 2:17 pm
I agree on the reading part, but really, if no one asked questions that have already been asked why not just make this a faq instead of a message board?

I don't mind people asking questions that have already been asked. It gives me an opportunity to "meet" new people and share what I know. What's the big deal really? If you're too busy to be bothered with repetitive questions maybe you should take a break from the board and tend to your business.
Lisa J.
on 8/2/11 11:10 pm - OK
BINGO!

Plus, bring Gas X strips, lip balm, a pillow to hold over your tummy on the way home.
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
vacationlover
on 8/2/11 11:13 pm
and. don't waste space by bringing a book.  All I needed was one magazine to stare at.  I was sleepy and ouchy in the hospital- not the best combination for reading a meaty novel.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Kimchi829
on 8/3/11 12:41 am - PA
I have read a lot of the posts here. Everyone offers something a little different. It's informative to see all the complications people are having so I know what to look for if I have the same issues. And at the same time it's a relief to see how many had smooth sailing.
Thanks for the post.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 229 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 304 views