Pre-op Testing

bajanqueen70
on 8/14/11 2:23 am
VSG on 11/19/12
Hi OH Family,

My surgery date is 11/7/2011; My insurance company does not cover the surgery, so I will self-pay and will be traveling to Mexico for the surgery with Dr. Ortiz.  The surgery will occur the same day I do the pre-op testing so I was just wondering if anyone can share what pre-op testing is required. 

I've heard that in some cases, an endoscopy is recommended as well...is this supposed to be standard?  I was thinking about seeing my PCP about having this done in the states and going to Mexico prepared with the results (it is not covered as part of the surgery in Mexico, so I'd like to minimize my costs). I've previously had some gastrointestinal issues, and sometimes feel like there is something going on inside, so I figure I'd get it looked at prior to surgery. 

Anyway, I digress; if those of you that have had the surgery can respond to the pre-op testing question, that would be awesome! Thanks everyone!
youngnfit
on 8/14/11 2:29 am
 I had to do an endoscopy, vascular imaging on my legs (to check for clots- I don't think many surgeons do this one), blood work, an EKG, and chest X-ray. If your insurance here will cover the endoscopy, I'd definitely recommend getting it done in advance and bringing the results with you. I was told that if my endoscopy results were abnormal (like an ulcer) I'd have to take some medication and fix the problem before surgery. So just in case they find something during the endoscopy, you can have it treated before surgery. I had the endoscopy done like 4 weeks before surgery just in case anything came up, but the rest of the testing was done 1 week before surgery. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have questions.

"Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory." Ghandi    
bajanqueen70
on 8/14/11 2:34 am
VSG on 11/19/12
Thank you youngnfit...your response was helpful.  I heard previously that if the endoscopy was abnormal, then you have to take medication to make things right prior to surgery, so thanks for confirming!  I'm glad I asked...I'm set to see my PCP the beginning of September so I will have a conversation with him at that point.  Thanks again for your response; just wanted to know what to expect in regards to the other pre-op tests required.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 3:00 am - MD
Congrats on your surgery date! Sorry to hear your insurance won't pay but glad you are still going forward, if my insurance denies me I won't be able to have it but I am trying to remain optimistic that they will, I have a surgery date of 10-4-11 but my paperwork will not be submitted until the 8th of Sept when I see my surgeon for my final visit so crossing my fingers! I have done all my pre op testing, EKG, mulitple blood work ups, cardiologist (echocardiogram not everyone has to have this) pysch eval, chest xray, abdomen sonogram, endoscopy and (EUS which is Endoscopy with Ultrasound, again not everyone has this I had a polyp that needed to be evaluated and removed) hmmmmm what else, PCP physical, calcium level was low so had to be put on some calcium citrate and another vita D pill,oh and my favorite test of all UGH the dreaded Upper GI yuck the stuff they make you drink is disgusting...but they are very thorough which is a good thing and things were found due to my Upper Gi that I had no idea I had....
Sending you best wishes as you prepare for your surgery and then begin the new chapter of your life it will be amazing!
rosapain
on 8/14/11 3:13 am - Amityville, NY
HI BAJANQUEEN70  I HAVE NOT HAD SURGERY AS OF YET. I HAVE JUST COMPELTED MY SIX MONTHS  WITH MY PCP. I HAD TO SEE AGASTROETEROLOGY HE SCHEDULE FOR ME TO HAVE A ENDOSCOPY. AT THE SAME TIME THE SURGEN SEND ME TO A LAB TO DO A GAS TEST I HAD TO DRINK A MIXTURE BLOW INTO A BAG. THREE DAYS LATER I GET A CALL FROM SURGENS OFFICE  I WAS PUT ON MEDS FOR 14 DAYS FOR H.PYLORI  WHICH CAN CAUSE  A NUMBER OF DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS. WENT BACK TO MY GASTROENTEROLOGY. HE STILL GOING FORWARD WITH THE ENDOSCOPY HE WANT TO BE SURE THE MEDS WORK. THIS HAS REALLY BEEN  A ROCKY ROAD FOR ME.HOPE EVERYTHING IS SMOOTH SAILING FOR YOU GOD BLESS.
great    
bajanqueen70
on 8/14/11 3:27 am
VSG on 11/19/12
Thank you all for your responses!  They have been most helpful! I guess my conversation with my PCP will be a long one based on the list I have to discuss with him!  Thanks again!
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 217 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views