PLEASE HELP ME ....I just need to know if its ok :) PLEASE

Primyzia
on 8/17/11 7:33 am
VSG on 08/09/11 with
I have 3 weeks of liquids and I'm only a week out...... I cook everyday for my son (and friends) I make the good stuff of course :) but its weird I really love the smell of what I make but I don't want to eat it, plus I'm having a hard time with liquids right now anyway I'm not even eating 1/ 2 of what I'm supposed too I force my self most of the times......................I just have a question are u guys having a hard time eating or drinking does it hurt? or did it hurt? I'm sipping really small I have liquid for most of everything and it still hurts :( I mean I love the part where I'm not hungry but not the pain.... please let me know how u guys r doing THANK YOU by the way do u think that sugar free candy is a good thing or bad.............and if bad why???

http://youtu.be/Ax77weY-2D4       http://youtu.be/VYj-ru_iIVk 
            http://youtu.be/gE9e0k0u6xE     http://youtu.be/RgbP3MllMQ0 

3sweetpeas
on 8/17/11 7:40 am - Tehachapi, CA
I had surgery the day after you.. I only have pain for a few seconds (like I'm swallowing a golfball or something) if I take too big of a drink, or if it's something cold.

As for SF candy... I guess it would depend on the amount of carbs in it?..

Tamara
Highest BMI & Weight during VSG journey -- 44.5 / 259
Current BMI & Weight -- 37.8 / 220

SassyItalian
on 8/17/11 7:41 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
definitely contact your surgeon..

it may be a little uncomfortable to swallow..but having actual pain is scary. try sipping even smaller amounts and see if the pain stops.
not wanting to eat is fairly normal.

now to the candy-
sugar free candy is bad for the following reasons:

-its a slippery slope, its sweet. if your sweet craving is gone post op dont tempt the dragon.

- it also has calories. and if you are supposed to only be having 500 calories a day and a few pieces has 50 calories you need to use the space you have to fill your stomach with protein

-eating candy promotes grazing, you are supposed to be eating x amount of set meals a day and not snacking

-it has sugar alcohols which can cause stomach cramps and diarrhea, and trust me, with all those protein shakes you wont need any encouragement to have stomach cramps and diarrhea already

just my 2 cents. maybe farther out a piece here and there in moderation is ok but definitely not this soon.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

3sweetpeas
on 8/17/11 7:48 am - Tehachapi, CA
I meant to say CALORIES, not carbs..
Tamara
Highest BMI & Weight during VSG journey -- 44.5 / 259
Current BMI & Weight -- 37.8 / 220

smfaith26
on 8/17/11 7:52 am
Take your time....don't worry. Sip, sip and sip is all you can do - the further along the more you will be able to drink/eat.  Call your doctor regarding the pain you have - I didn't have any pain from eating or drinking just soreness from one of incisions.

I started having sugar free mints at 4-5mos.

Again, don't rush anything - remember there's a healing process - you will get there.
Stacy

Pre-Op Weight 264      Day of Surgery 257     VSG 2/16/11
disabled_nurse
on 8/17/11 8:13 am - Bogalusa, LA
that is why I used a baby sippy cup.....................perfect little sip, some people after surgery can't take a NORMAL size sip of water after surgery without it hurting, I was one of those people. Now 11 months out I can chug a lug............lol that is until it fills up my stomach. Hot tea felt better on my stomach at first, just try different temps. If you want something sweet try sugar free hot choc mix with a scoop of protein. Good luck in your journey.

metime
on 8/17/11 9:17 am - chesapeake, VA
I've been using Camelbak bottles since surgery and never really had any issues...it stops you from gulping air,. I would give it a try!  cant hurt

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 9:36 am
I am 5 1/2 weeks post op.  I can just now take somewhat normal sized bites (as in average small bite).

Prior my bites were seriously like a 1/2 tsp, and I could only get a few in before I got the warning to stop (pain).  The swelling is the problem and if you are trying normal sized bites it will hurt like hell!!!  I made the mistake a ocuple of times of taking a normal swallow of water - OMG thought I was going to die waiting for it to get down.

I still can't get much in.  I can get about 5-8 average small bites in at a time depending on what I am eating. Less if it's a dense food.

if the pain is bad enough that you are needing medication 3 weeks out, you are taking tiny bites and getting major pain, then definitely get in to the doctor.
Prettygia
on 8/17/11 9:53 am - MD
I had my surgery the day before you and it did hurt a little when I was sipping water. Like I could feel it going down. As of this week I really do not feel any type of pain maybe a little gas from time to time. I also have the camelbak water bottle and it helps a lot with taking little sips. Me and my daughter are cleaning and we just took a water break and I actually GULPED down a few sips of water and I did not feel any discomfort. I guess it gets better over time.
[url=http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-tickers.html][img]http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-tickers/uploads/tickers/fd6b1c6abeed7a2.gif[/img][/url]

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 8/17/11 10:56 am
 if you are in pain, that isn't normal - don't pu****

if you are just over surgery, you have a LOT of swelling in your sleeve - it takes a LONG time for it to go down. I was unusual in that I could not get in even full liquids when my surgeon said I could have them - I stayed on thin liquids for longer and it worked for me.  

Syntrax Nectars - fruit flavors like strawberry kiwi - mixed with water so I got in all my fluids and also my protein. those are the most important things.

I just couldn't advance as quickly as most and that is OK.  fluids = VITAL and then protein.

so don't force things!!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views