Oh yes... yet another post about the 3 WEEK STALL

SunnyinSD
on 8/30/11 12:53 am, edited 8/30/11 12:56 am - San Diego, CA
I was 3 weeks out of surgery on Monday.  I haven't lost anything since day 10.  I'm SO OVER THIS!  I'm working my butt off at the gym and I'm working hard to get in my protein and water. 

I know I'm losing inches (I went from a tight 18 down to a 14/16) in less than 3 weeks.  I've lost over 4 inches off my waist alone (2 inches came off in the last 2 weeks while I was stalled)!  But still, I'm stalled at 213.  UGH!  SO frustrating.

Not really looking for advice here, just look for someone to sympathize with my plight and tell me that everything will be OK    Hopefully the scale will start moving again soon.... right???  How long did the 3 week stall last for you?  How much weight did you drop immediately afterward? I need something to look forward to.

I'm a 5'9", 33 year old mother of 2 living in Sunny San Diego  
Starting Weight: 273  Surgery Weight: 235  Goal Weight: 140   Surgery Date: 08/08/11

CoolBeans
on 8/30/11 1:16 am - MD
 Let me just say this, that three week stall sucks. 

I am in the middle of it as well. I will be at 4 weeks on Thursday. I know that people who have been on this board get tired of reading about stalls, especially the infamous 3 week stall, but for those of us who are experiencing it, I think it is very hard to remain logical and patient. While we may have read about it a million times, we also have been through failed diets a million times and a little nasty voice inside our heads starts telling us that after despite all our efforts this just isn't going to work and we will remain fat forever.  Of course, we can tell that voice to shut up and go away. But it is a bit insideous. 

Good for you for taking those measurements. That is one way to tell that voice to shut up. 

Cari    
jennifer K.
on 8/30/11 1:35 am - OH
Yep I just got out of mine and it lasted a little over 3 weeks. Waiting it out is the hardest part - I had to just put the scale away and only bring it out for my one week weigh in. I even gained 1.5 lbs - talk about a mental trip. Just focus on what your eating and drinking and the weight will come off. PS be careful with working out - you don't want to pull a stitch out. My dr. said only light exercise for 30-45 minutes a day - like walking dog or playing the WII. But if your DR says otherwise then keep up the good work I get released for full exercise next week and chomping at the bit!
Jennifer
HW:330, Class W: 300  SW: 279 (7/13)
1m: 257 - 22 lbs/ 2m: 241 - 17 lbs/ 3m 231 - 10 lbs/ 4m  221 - 10 lbs/ 5m 210 -11lbs

SunnyinSD
on 8/30/11 1:42 am - San Diego, CA
Thanks for the support.  I just needed a bit of reassurance.  As for the working out, my doctor cleared for for working  out as much as I can without "hurting".  So far, I can do pretty high intensity cardio, swimming and weightlifting, but I've avoided doing any abdominal exercises.  I got pretty into working out before surgery and my doctor was very adamant that I needed to get back into working out at my previous levels if I was comfortable doing so.  I'm under strict guidelines to STOP if anything hurts.  But so far, so good.  I just want this damn stall to break!!!

Starting Weight: 273  Surgery Weight: 235  Goal Weight: 140   Surgery Date: 08/08/11

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 1:43 am
Speaking for myself only, your post is NOT the type of post most VETS get annoyed at.  It is the posts that show that the person has not read anything else on this site and is surprised and dismayed that they are not losing around this time that get a bit monotonous after a few years.  You have every right to be annoyed and frustrated at stalls.  I know I felt that way when I hit them.  The good news is that I lost most of my inches during those "stalls".  I would lose the pounds first, then not lose weight for a few weeks but my clothes would be falling off of me.  Then I would go right back to losing weight.  It really will work out just fine.  Just keep doing what you are doing and eventually the scale will cooperate again.  I always lost a ton of weight when the stall broke.  I mean 5-7 lbs. in a week sometimes.  It was pretty awesome.  Hang in there and this too shall pass.
heatherdw
on 8/30/11 1:58 am
You need to remember that you are only a couple of weeks out and things do keep moving.  If you are working out, eating right, and getting in fluids then YOU WILL NOT FAIL!  We all have the fear in the back of our minds that this won't work for us.  But it does.
Heather, SAHM to 2 (ages 3 and 7), Student

SunnyinSD
on 8/30/11 1:59 am - San Diego, CA
Awesome, thank Elina!  I'm looking forward to losing 5-7 pounds next week.  Really, REALLY looking forward to it!!!

syl2468
on 8/30/11 2:48 am
I can imagine! I actually gained a pound and it's only day 7. What's up with THAT?

HW 342, Start WLS Program-320, Surgery-314, Goal-160 or "we'll see..."

LabMomma
on 8/30/11 2:49 am
VSG on 09/27/10 with
I KNOW you that already know this, but I am going to say it anyway...  with all that working out, you are building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. You ARE making progress, but just not the kind that shows on a regular scale. Do you have one of those scales that gives you water weight vs. muscle?? If not, get one!!

And yes, the stall is a ***** because you were dropping a pound or two every day for a while and that success felt GREAT! This too shall end. Your body just needs time to get over the shock!

injeneral
on 8/30/11 4:05 am
I had surgery on the 15th of August, dropped 16 pounds within days (including 3 pounds post op) and in less than a WEEK after surgery, stalled. I've been stalled at 225 since Aug. 20 and it is MADDENING.
I know it's normal. I know my body is "catching up" and is recovering from trauma, etc. But that doesn't stop the colossal mindfuck this has been for me. I've never been able to lose more than 15 pounds with any diet, so to be stuck at that exact number is seriously messing with my head. Logically I know it's OK and it'll pass, but emotionally? L:DKJFL:SDKjf
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views