Dr Pleatman

jmedpm
on 9/7/11 7:48 am - OH
Hi, my mother is scheduled with Dr Pleatman in Michigan for a VSG tomorrow.   I had the procedure done about 7 weeks ago and am having concerns.  He does not do a leak test, no drain and discharge in 24 hours.  Also, she will be in a car for quite a long drive shortly after and he is not concerned about blood clots (I'm a doctor and I am scared to death of this). Any have any good or bad experiences with Dr Pleatman??  Advise please!

SleeveRockn Chic
on 9/7/11 7:55 am
 Did you check out this page on OH............http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-mar k-pleatman/   I hope it helps you.  I personally would be concerned about the leak test. I thought it was standard with this procedure, maybe not. Maybe your mom could request one while in hospital.  I was released after 24 hours, my ins. paid for outpatient.  Also I did not have a drain.  As far as the car ride I would say stop every so often so she can get out and move around a little and get the blood flowing.  Good luck.  Kerry

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

Birdie55
on 9/7/11 8:05 am
I had surgery with Dr Cirangle, who is one ofthe top VSG surgeons in the US.  He does not do a leak test, use drains and discharges usually in 24 hours.  He told me that a leak usually occurs within 30 days and is because of improper eating.  He does oversew the top and bottom where a leak is more prone to occur....

Your mother's guidelines sound fine to me.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

jmedpm
on 9/7/11 8:07 am - OH
 Dr Pleatman doesn't over sew, but thanks for your response.

emelar
on 9/7/11 8:10 am - TX
I've seen his name on the forum often and people speak highly of him.

I was in the hospital for 24 hours then discharged.  Had a drain, but it managed to come out in the hospital.  Leak test was done in the OR.  Didn't do another one after.  As far as the drive is concerned, make sure she stops, gets out, and takes a little walk every now and then.  Or, if you're really concerned, see if they'll give her a heperin shot before being discharged.
Herbie55
on 9/7/11 10:46 am - MI
Dr. Pleatman was my surgeon and as far as I am concerned, did a wonderful job. Other than a couple of nurses at the hospital with crappy attitudes, I had a very good experience. Have not had to take acid pills and in fact never filled my pain script after I was discharged from the hospital. I had a two hour and forty five minute ride home and did just fine. We did stop so I could walk around a couple of times. I don't know how old your mother is, I am 55.
jmedpm
on 9/7/11 10:51 am - OH
 She is close to your age. Thanks so much for the response. It helps to ease my mind a little to hear from one of his patients.

frisco
on 9/7/11 12:37 pm, edited 9/7/11 12:39 pm

My surgeon who has done something like 1600 VSG's in the last 10 years stopped doing leak tests a long time ago..... he says it puts stress on the staple line and can cause un-necessary bleeding.

If you have leak....you have a leak.... in most cases it can't be fixed on the spot. Aggressive attempts to fix a leak on the spot often leads to making the situation worse.

Dr. Pleatmans name comes up often here on OH...... Never heard anything bad......

On the blood clots....I was prescribed Heparin injections upon release from the hospital.....not everybody gets this and I don't know what the criteria is.

As far as your long drive....I'd stop every hour for a walk and stay hydrated.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 435 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op