OK vets - I need help!

fypcdqt
on 9/10/11 9:43 am - Cumming, GA
I am 10 days post op, and my surgeon's post op diet is clear liquids, then full liquids then mushies.  I know some surgeons don't allow for mushies until later, but my surgeon cleared me.  The problem I am running into is I am now experiencing lactose intolerance for the first time ever, and while I am getting my fluids in, I am pnly getting 20 g of protein or less a day.  

Am I trying to overchieve by working on protein?
Any good suggestions for non-dairy protein? (Isopure is definitely more isoPUKE for me)

I was supposes to return to work this upcoming Monday, but I am so weak throughout the day that 4-5 hours of being upright and I need a good hour nap or more.  I am getting at least 30 minutes of slow paced walking a day, and I am taking my vitamins, etc.

Any helpful suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Amy

Jackie00
on 9/10/11 9:50 am
Getting sleeved soon but I have read during the first few weeks it is more important for you to keep hydrated. Water first then worry about your protein intake. I heard it takes a good month for most to get that required amount in.

Hope you feel better soon, I was planning on the two weeks off but my main physician gave me one month off and said that I will need it. I am worried about being tired afterwards too.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/10/11 9:51 am
Syntrax Nectar protein powders come in a variety of flavors and my tubs say they are lactose free.  I love them!  My flavors are Kiwi Strawberry, Crystal Sky and Twisted Cherry.  I buy them from mybariatricpantry.com

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

fypcdqt
on 9/10/11 10:14 am - Cumming, GA
Thanks - I just ordered a sample pack from them on your suggestion.  I am willing to try just about anything right now!

Amy

BriarRose
on 9/10/11 10:07 am
If you can eat eggs, make a puree out of hard boiled eggs and some lite mayo or use yogurt. High protein. I couldn't tolerate any artificial sweetners, so all the shakes were out for me. Early on I used unjury chicken broth protein. I added it to soups, I added it to chicken salad puree. It helped me get some protein extras in.

I also added eggs to everything. Chicken salad got a pureed hard boiled or chopped egg in to it, tuna got the same.

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
fypcdqt
on 9/10/11 10:16 am - Cumming, GA
Unfortunately eggs aren't sitting well with me just yet.  I will try again next week with them, but the first day I had a bite of scrambled eggs, my pouch protested loudly.

What do you put in your chicken salad?  Just the chicken and light mayo? or any seasonings?  I ate so much chicken salad pre-op that I was burned out on it, but if it means healing faster and getting back to work, I will try it again!

Amy

USAF Wife
on 9/10/11 10:31 am
You can actually mix it with a little greek yogurt instead of mayo to increase your protein intake. I added dijon mustard, dry ranch/italian dressing sprinkles just enough to give it some flavor.

No veggies, fruit, or pickles or anything like that, just the chicken, tuna or eggs mixed with greek yogurt.

Make sure you at least puree it this early out, or chew it down to nothing before swallowing.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

USAF Wife
on 9/10/11 10:15 am
Jay Robb makes an egg white protein, you can mix with lactaid milk, or water, or buy the pre-mixed.

Also, soy protein can be mixed with water, or other non-dairy milks.

Any of the standard whey proteins will only make it worse since whey is a milk product.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

fypcdqt
on 9/10/11 10:31 am - Cumming, GA
I hadn't heard about egg white protein before, but it sounds interesting.  Also just ordered a sample packet to try out.

I so appreciate your feedback throughout this board!

Amy

BriarRose
on 9/10/11 10:38 am
I used a spoon of greek yogurt and some fat free salad dressings to vary the "taste" of the chicken/tuna/egg salad.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views