Starting to reach my mini goals but....

jennifer K.
on 9/12/11 3:23 am - OH
So I had surgery two months ago and have sent mini goals to reach along the way since my big goal of 150 is sooo far away.  So far I blew past the first one of getting below 250 - then my next goal was to hit 240 by my 30th b-day which is next week and I have almost hit that this week  (within a lb).  I thought I would be super excited about reaching these milestones - but I am not - I just keep wanting to push past them and get on to the next.  Is it because this weight loss feels too easy and happening so fast that my brain isn't catching up with these accomplishments?  I don't know - just thought I would share!  Not complaining, the last time I saw 240 was when I was 21 after being an on an all liquid diet for 3 months.   Obviously that was another failed diet attempt - however now I have my sleeve and this tool is going to help me succeed and hold me accountable for my missteps.  Thanks for listening!
Jennifer
HW:330, Class W: 300  SW: 279 (7/13)
1m: 257 - 22 lbs/ 2m: 241 - 17 lbs/ 3m 231 - 10 lbs/ 4m  221 - 10 lbs/ 5m 210 -11lbs

Lisa J.
on 9/12/11 3:55 am - OK
I just keep wanting to push past them and get on to the next.  Is it because this weight loss feels too easy and happening so fast that my brain isn't catching up with these accomplishments? 

YES! It's exactly that!!! It might take a really long time for your brain to catch up--that's why some of us vets say "this isn't brain surgery, it's WLS"....it's absolutely AMAZING how the weight simply falls off....in these first 6 months you are going to experience SO MUCH! You might not even truly SEE the changes your body is making even after other people remark on it! Some people really have to put up side by side photos until they GET it. You'd be amazed at how many stories I've read on here about people seeing themselves in mirrors from a distance and not having a clue it was them!!

Just think about it: for years we've wanted the magic bullet, the pill, the weight to just disappear (the way it seemingly just arrived in the first place, right?) We go through all the hoops of this surgery, finally get it done, the weight starts to drop off and we fully expect each and every day or week to be our last day or week of weight loss--right? It simply cannot be this easy, right? All the torment you put your brain through--the emotional roller coaster, you might have had some side effects along the way, maybe not, your brain could be battling you with doubt after doubt, and yet, the scale keeps dropping. For people who have always avoided scales, fitting rooms, photographs, carnival rides, exercise, dancing, high heels, horseback riding, bicycles, skating, you name it, SUDDENLY ALL THOSE THINGS are on the horizon (if you want it to be) and quite frankly, it's SCARY if you've never been thin and healthy--or if you have been but like a bunch of us, so long ago we've forgotten AND took it for granted like we'd always be normal, and suddenly it's HERE, and now you have to change!!!

This is what we wanted, right??? The only thing I can compare it to (and I'm basing this purely on psychogical issues, not person experiences) is for a person staying at a crappy job or in an abusive relationship simply because it was EASIER than the unknown, easier than finding out what life really is beyond that abuse or dysfunction--you know what I'm trying to say?

As much as we hated being the fat person, we wanted to fit in a booth, wear fun clothes, get opposite sex's attention, have a better job, ENJOY life, and so now we get that, and some people are bound to have emotional issues. That's normal!!

For me, I can say that I was extremely optimistic about the surgery, both pre and postop, (I have been lucky in my life to have experienced life before getting super morbidly obese) and was all involved in the mental aspect, it couldn't happen fast enough, and I was completely aware that I had make the best use of my 6-8 months 'honeymoon' phase and that all people don't lose or maintain the same etc etc.

Please pardon while I ramble. ;-)  We're incredibly anxious to get rid of that fat, while at the same time disbelieving it's happening and that any second now we'll wake up from this nice little dream and we'll be fat again! You are not alone in the worry that it's happening too fast. I think our bodies still are going to lose in the best way for itself. Some people get lucky and go beyond goal without much duress (that would be GREAT!) but others, I'm sure like myself, are SO GLAD to have lost what we've lost and are thrilled to maintain!

I think mini goals are totally the way to go. Not just beause it's hard to wrap your brain around but because it's more 'normal' if  you will. Nothing about this surgery and lifestyle is 'normal' as far as a lot of people are concerned. I think you're doing the right thing, enjoying it as it's happening and not stressing out too much down the road.

I wish you the best, keep on program, enjoy your new eating habits and learn to try and like new healthy things, keep drinking water water water, and keep moving forward!

Whew, Lisa, shut up okay? ;-)

It's a full moon........

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
CoolBeans
on 9/12/11 1:45 pm - MD
  Great Post! 

I hope I feel that way soon. I feel like it has moved so slowly so far. I think I am in that infamous 3rd week stall (now around week 5.5). So this kind of post is encouraging. 
 Cari    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views