Armed Services?? After Weight Loss

asweetiepye
on 9/16/11 5:38 am

I was thinking of once I hit my goal weight of joining one of the nurse reserve corp. I am kind of stuck in my area of nursing right now  Med-Surg (bedside nursing- 4th yr ) I am burnt out  and would like to get a specialty. Anyone here join the military after their weight loss?

Thanks,
Andrea

USAF Wife
on 9/16/11 6:58 am
It's against the regs for WLS patients to join. There is no waiver for having WLS. I know some recruiters will say "sure, we can get you in" but it is considered an unacceptable alteration to the body and because in the event you were to ever deploy, they can NOT guarantee they can accommodate your health, nutrient and physical needs.

I have 2 friends who have tried to join the Reserves. 1 with a band and the other RNY, and both were denied.

From the Tricare (For Active Duty and Reserve members website)

Gastric Bypass

TRICARE covers gastric bypass, gastric stapling and gastroplasty to include vertical banded gastroplasty and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (Lap-Band surgery) is covered only when the beneficiary meets one of the following conditions:

• Is 100 pounds over ideal weight for height and bone structure and has one of these associated conditions: diabetes mellitus, hypertension, cholecystitis, narcolepsy, Pickwickian syndrome, hypothalamic disorders or severe arthritis of the weight-bearing joints
  • Is 200 percent or more over ideal weight for height and bone structure
  • Has had intestinal bypass or other surgery for obesity and because of complications, requires another surgery (takedown)

TRICARE does not cover:

• Nonsurgical treatment of obesity, morbid obesity, dietary control or weight reduction
  • Biliopancreatic bypass, gastric bubble or balloon for the treatment of morbid obesity

Note for Active Duty Service Members: Bariatric surgery represents a major and permanent change in your digestive system that requires strict adherence to a specific dietary regimen that may interfere with operational deployment. A history of bariatric surgery is already a bar to military service and receiving bariatric surgery while on active duty may be grounds for separation. For more information, view the Health Affairs Policy 07-006.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

hrford
on 9/16/11 7:20 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Yep it's an absolute no-no.  I was in the Army before I gained my weight and I wouldn't mind going back in but nope.  You can still work at a MTF (military treatment facility) as a civilian and they offer a lot of good benefits.  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

asweetiepye
on 9/16/11 8:53 am
Well thanks for the info guys!! My they are harsh a friend of mine told me a lady got  denied for having lasik surgery. She was a dr going to be flying on the rescue copters
hrford
on 9/16/11 11:18 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 yeah you can only have lasik for a few jobs.  But you can have the other one where they actually have a flap on your eye (I can't remember what it is called) and fly.  My husband just had that done last November.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 241 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views