A self forced stall?

jbskaggs
on 9/24/11 3:18 am - holt, MO
 As I read a lot of posts I see references to people undergoing nutritional deficiencies.  I wonder if some people try to much to quickly and do not take breaks?

In other words a self induced stall may not be a bad thing over all.  As it would give your body time to reaquire lost nutrients and reduce the stress on the system.

So instead of losing weight at a steady rate, instead lose weight to a goal, platue for a while, then lose weight to a goal, platue etc...

Im just thinking out loud.

JB

Paige V.
on 9/24/11 3:33 am - Gainesville, FL
if you had the willpower to do that, it might not be a bad idea. However, the first six months are soo important and I know I lack willpower, that I plan to barrell ahead and get as much off as I can. My goal is to be under 200lbs by April 1st of next year..I do not know if it is realistic or not, but we are taking a cruise and that would be fabulous! =) 

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

dicastro1010
on 9/24/11 3:34 am - Escondido, CA
I see where you are going with this, but the idea of a forced stall really scares me. Especially because it would mean increasing calories, and for me I wouldn't trust being able to increase then decrease and feel deprived. Or stopping exercise/winding down- which again, if I stop a pattern I'm at risk for taking a super long break. That's just me. I am better with keeping the same habits and losing continuously, especially while the first 12-18 months are pivotal in the losing phase, I would hate to waste that with purposely planned stalls. Now when the natural stalls happen, that is normal and expected, but I would be scared to force them...
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 3:35 am
I wouldn't necessarily try to stop weight loss.. nutritional deficiencies are most often due to not supplementing (not smart, may land you in the hospital or worse) or under supplementing- a multivite alone is not adequate for us anymore, sorry..

I think many VSGers are under the assumption that just because there is no intestinal re-routing, that deficiencies do not occur. Unfortunately, they do, and sometimes very very quickly. If you are on top of your labs (very important, and not just the "standards" most docs pull..) and are supplementing adequately.. you should be ok. If you are, then downward trends can be spotted and resolved.. but if you let it get too bad, then only medical intervention may get certain vites and minerals up to where they need to be.

We intake so little, that combined with a reduced stomach surface area and digestive acids and enzymes.. we are not functioning as normies and never will again.. my 2c. 
kimbethin
on 9/24/11 3:56 am - CA
I agree with Jo! (as usual)  Instead of stalling, make the required suppliments and anti-constipation regimen that works for you part of your daily routine.  Heck my gummy vitamins are starting to feel like a snack in the evening!  Steady weight loss even in small amounts sounds so much better to me.    If I plateau it's not the end of the world, I just look at what I'm eating and my exercise routine and adjust where I need too.  Self induceds stall sounds a little scary!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
roundater
on 9/24/11 4:03 am - Lincoln, NE
Agree with Jo and Kim. Plus the first six months to a year are the most critical after WLS. Very important to keep the pedal to the metal during that time to get the maximum benefit of the surgery.
Rich Sonderegger

onehappygirl
on 9/24/11 4:39 am
I can agree with you, at least on my NON-forced stalls I have suffered thru. The whole time I was going thru the stalls I was making myself feel better by telling myself I was conserving all my nutrients and my hair loss would slow down, I was taking it easier on my body, stress-wise, etc etc. I think one could argue these things during stalls, but I sure was happy once the stalls ended and I started losing again. Mostly for me, it was worry about hair loss and my general overall health.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views