Emotional overeating binge!

jbskaggs
on 9/26/11 5:30 pm - holt, MO
 The past two days have been extremely emotional- not related to anything in particular just really weird.    Very impulsive self defeating things which culminated in a binge eating attack of ten club crackers and a glass of milk.  Doesn't sound like a lot- but it took me over my calorie limit and  I am hurting now and wondering why I am having this emotional stuff.

I really do wonder how much of our hormones and chemicals  is stored in our fats that we re experience when we burn that fat.  This is the kinda of stuff I did ten years ago when I had a major depression following a divorce, business loss, death of a parent, and bankruptcy all in one year.

Before the sleeve this binge would have been an enire bag of crackers and a half jar of peanut butter, followed by a half gallon of milk.

So I guess I start over tommorrow and endure the pain until my stomach empties.

Embarrassed, dissappointed, and confused
jb

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/11 6:01 pm, edited 9/26/11 6:01 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
For me, a binge is not about the amount, and you will see as your sleeve gets mature - your amount will most definitely increase.

For me, a binge is a behavior, I can feel one coming with the starts of itchy restlessness in me, and then I have to set me up to not take extra cash places, only shop by a list and keep danger foods away, not try and exercise all my discomfort away, not try and "fix" the feelings as it were.  Learning that just having feelings, even ****ty ones, was not the worst thing - well some days its easier than others.  :s

Before surgery ever, when I would lift and do hard leg days and back days - I would have random crying fits.  My theory then was that all the feelings I had been stuffing when those fat cells were made were coursing through my system on their way out.  Whether it is, or is not, is beside the point, but psychobabble-phobia aside - it seemed the only logical thing, especially since there was nothing in my emotional life, every day life to trigger such intense out of the blue emotions.

Sorry for your evening's bummer emotional rollercoaster.  Hooray that it comes to pass, *and not to stay* huh?
Smardeepants
on 9/27/11 2:36 am
Love this. You have no idea how many of your posts are printed and posted on my fridge. It's like you have your own personal creeper. LOL.

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 2:37 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

You are the NICEST creeper I have ever had, my friend!  :} 

Msmuland
on 9/26/11 7:23 pm
I have been a emotional rollercoaster. I used to get angry when I got hungry before surgery and I feel hungry a lot more so I feel snappy. Then I go through the saddness because I cant eat what everyone is eating or going out to eat is such a struggle. I dont think anyone can prepare us for the life change we just had. I think we should have been more mentally prepare because our weight gain I believe is 50% mental. I enjoy eating out and going out for dessert I cant do that anymore. I feel like we go through a morning period were we are sad about the loss. I mean we just loose 85% of our stomach! haha. I think this adjustment period and going through this stuff is just what we need to get through our heads in the end. I am hoping over the next 6 months my crazy ends. My bf said maybe it was BC I was put on but I just think I am sad and frustrated and when we deal with these emotions the first thing to kick in is our addiction. I have noticed I have started gambling more like I am subing my eating addiction with gambling. Not sure how to solve any of it really. But your not alone! AND hopefully at the end of this we are skinny, non crazy, beautiful woman~! 

debk21
on 9/26/11 10:15 pm - Mansfield, TX
First of all...it's in the past and today is a new day.  Let it go and try to figure out the cause.  If you can figure that out and see this coming, you can try to circumvent it.  With me it's an underlying restlessness and constant thinking about food.  When this happens, I know that I'm in trouble and try to get my mind off the addiction by thinking about my ongoing home projects and planning them, reading a book to take my mind off it, working on a cross stitch project, go for a walk - anything that doesn't involve eating.  Also, I plan my daily meals so that when I'm restless and start going into the fridge for no reason, I say to myself, "did you plan to eat that today?"  If not, the goal is to leave it in the fridge....It's very good that you are tracking - keep that up and it will help you stay accountable and reduce the number of "dammit, what have I done?" moments.  You can't change yesterday, but you can change what you do today.  Hang in there and keep the faith!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/26/11 10:27 pm, edited 9/26/11 10:27 pm
I love what Brandi said about a binge being about the behavior not how much was consumed.  This really resonated with me.  It's that overwhelming compulsion to eat something I shouldn't RIGHT NOW.  I've had it a few times, but mostly have avoided actually giving in.  I have decided to start counseling to figure out why and how to deal with it.

I don't have a lot of advice, other than I think this is the last little bit of our old fat selves gasping for air.  They can tell we are shutting them out of our life and they don't like it.  

We are always going to have emotional stuff and major life events that upset the delicate balance of our happiness and healthiness.   Finding a way to deal with it is key... I'm still at the beginning of that journey myself.

Hang in there.  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

George B.
on 9/27/11 1:15 am - Miami, FL
If you have no control over the club crackers get rid of them for now. 

I cannot tell you how often I gave away jars of cashews because I could not control the cashews.

It gets better with time.

Good luck,
George

Smardeepants
on 9/27/11 2:35 am
YES to this!! Seriously, into the trash NOW! Or give them to a neighbor... or to your kids and say, "if you want these, make them disappear" (as in eat them, hide them, whatever).

If you have issues with throwing out/wasting food (which was a big one for me... still working on not finishing the last bite or two)... think of it like this.

If you eat it (and feel the pain, guilt, remorse, etc)... where will it end up? As waste (poop). You'll flu**** and it's gone. If you throw it out, you're just getting rid of it (waste) in a more direct way. LOL.

queen R.
on 9/27/11 1:33 am - enid, OK

I have had those moments as well, where you feel so restless and "want" something.  It's an adjustment.  I totally agree with George.  I got rid of everything that I could grab.  I still may get something but it will be a healthier something.  Hang in there!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views