Hi all. I'm new. Question about IBS before and after surgery.

terrapin16
on 9/30/11 12:29 pm - CO
Has anyone been diagnosed with IBS pre-surgery, and then you no longer suffered from it post-surgery?  Just curious if that's something that wil start to go away in time.  I'm planning on having vertical sleeve surgery in Mexico in January...just fyi.

Like I said, I'm new and will probably have a ton of questions. 

maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 9/30/11 1:11 pm
I had the same question pre-op!  I was actually diagnosed with IBS when I was 12 years old... and after suffering with it for 18 years, the VSG has seemed to relieve it for the most part.  I do have bouts of constipation and I am one of those sleevers that has dumping syndrome with any sugar... so maybe that is the IBS?... but otherwise my IBS has been almost non-existant... I can only remember once post op that I have had any kind of cramping/pain similar to what I did pre-op (except when I am dumping... then I have severe cramping, severe nausea, and severe diarrhea)... but if I avoid the sugar, I am fine.  but, that is my experience... others may weigh in too with different experiences...

and, for the record, I've only had sugar a few times since surgery... mostly at birthday and holiday parties... nothing ever on a regular basis...

just to let you know, you can search for any questions that you have using the search bar... I found that especially helpful when I was first starting out... and someone... I believe it is carmelita has some links for FAQ for sleevers... she or someone else will post it in the forum every once in a while... I also found that helpful.

Memak
on 9/30/11 1:21 pm
VSG on 06/18/12
What a timely question!

I have IBS also and am just doing the preliminary work to be able to get the VSG.  Just today I had an appt. with my gastroenterologist and talked to him about this subject.  He is actually concerned that the IBS may intensify, but he has no proof that it will.  He is cautioning me about having the VSG because of my IBS, but also because I have lymphocytic colitis (controlled).  I know it's a concern, but I HAVE to have this surgery.  I'm too fat, unhappy and unhealthy to not take the chance that it will turn out okay. 
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 1:50 pm
I'd say its a little better but I get dumping from fats and I still avoid them. It's not worse, and I'm thinking the constpation probably counteracts it.
AnastasiaBeaverhausn
on 10/1/11 2:35 am
I have ulcerative colitis for the last 20 years. I know that dairy can be a trigger so I made sure that I mix my shakes with soy milk and not cow milk. That seems to have helped. I haven't had a flare up since surgery but I am only 7 weeks out and I had not had a flare up for awhile before that.

You know. I did have some sugar last night and that must have been dumping. Glad to know why that happened! I'm steering clear of sugar.
HW - 275  SW- 226  GW-150  

Carmelita
on 10/1/11 10:50 am - Four Corners, NM
Ya might wanna do an OH search..." VSG IBS" I know there's been quite a few here that have had resolution of IBS post VSG...

Now if I can just get someone to CONVINCE my SKINNY PICKLE Quantum Physics professor publishing papers ,books genius level IQ step-son...
TO TAKE A COMPLETE or MULTI PROBIOTIC  instead of just acidolphilus or Activia's GMO/ FAKE yogurt probiotic...ONLY.....so he would GET RID OF THE STINKING IBS he's had for 10 years....since he don't listen to me...cuz

Im only the wicked step mother  I would be as happy as a little gurl!

Post VSG...hopefully you'll realize or someone will tell ya about the importance of a good probiotic for a few months...since VSG is maldigestive...and yer on IV antibiotics in the hospital stripping ALL (beneficial too) microflora in yer SECOND BRAIN......yer intestines

BETTER HEALTH to ya POST VSG!!
Crissy327
on 7/27/12 1:18 am - NC
Hey there!

I never had IBS pre-op but now it seems to be my problem. I have started on a pro-biotic (Digestive Advantage) and it seems to have helped some. You seem to know a lot about the topic, so I wondered what you think is a good way to treat the IBS and what pro-biotic regimen you suggest.

Thanks so much! It's quiet a bad experience, so any advice is greatly appreciated!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views