How long post op until you could sleep in your bed?

sourcherriex
on 10/18/11 4:48 pm - CA
I am currently residing on my sofa. It isis just killing my back! Laying in bed takes so much painful effort to get in and out of. I have to havebe a family member pull me out. Just wondering when it will stop hurting to much to do those bending motions. I get my staples removed on Tuesday! Maybe that'll help?
 ~Marisa~

Ashley O.
on 10/18/11 5:18 pm
getting the staples removed will probably help a LOT.

I was laying on my bed the day i got home from surgery, with no problem.. i just had to take more time getting up..(i can thank the radiology dept. at the hospital for making me lay flat on my back, in a ridiculous amount of pain, less than 24 hours after i woke up from surgery, so they could get better images for my upper GI -.- nothing has hurt me since that..). i didn't have staples though..

I hope it starts to get better!

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

rosapain
on 10/18/11 5:27 pm - Amityville, NY
Hi, 3 wks out still sleeping in my chair. I purchase this chair about a year ago.I dont know if I will ever go back to my bed. this recliner is so comfortable.I was having alot pain getting out of my bed.I hope things get better for you and speedy recover.Congrats to you.
Sweet_56
on 10/18/11 5:57 pm - Saskatchewan, Canada
I was sleeping in my bed the same night I got home from Mexico, but I propped myself in a half sit/half lay position so that I was able to get myself up without assistance.. It took me about a week and a half before I could lay on my bed normally (however I couldn't lay on my sides until well into the second week) I didn't sleep much the first 2 weeks because I am a side/stomach sleeper so I found it near impossible to get comfortable... Try propping yourself with blankets and extra pillows :)

Good Luck

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers 
My Video Log...  Follow as this Fat Canadian Shrinks!! 
www.youtube.com/user/TheShrinkingCanadian

Happy966
on 10/18/11 9:00 pm

I am a side sleeper, so I didn't sleep in the bed for about 3 weeks.  I slept in a comfy recliner, so I was content to not go back to bed until I could sleep on my side and get up and down easily.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

jacreasy
on 10/18/11 9:18 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
your the first Ive seen on here that has had staples... How come they didn't just stitch your stomach?  I haven't ha surgery yet so just wondering.  Thanks
wert
on 10/19/11 1:05 am - MN
If I'm reading the original post correctly, she's referring to the tiny incisions in her abdomen the surgeon cut for access into the stomach cavity. I had 5 tiny incisions and they were all stapled shut. The staples were removed before I left the hospital and were taped shut. The tape stayed on until it fell off. By then, the incisions were healed. Now, the stomach itself is stapled and probably over-sewn, and in some cases glued. It depends on your surgeon's personal procedure. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

sourcherriex
on 10/19/11 1:39 am - CA
Correct. I have 5 small incisions with 3-4the staples in each one. Wow you got yours removed quick! Did it hurt? It hurt so bad when they took my drain out so now im terrified of the staples thing.. haha.
 ~Marisa~

wert
on 10/19/11 1:54 am - MN
It didn't really hurt to have the staples removed. It was uncomfortable and I was glad when it was done but it didn't hurt. I didn't have a drain. Interesting how many variations there are to the same surgery. Pre-op diets, catheter or not, drain or not, staples come out right away or not, post surgery eating plan. It's all different but with the same outcome - we all hope! 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

sourcherriex
on 10/19/11 2:39 am - CA
 I have a feeling I might cry for the staple removal, haha. I guess I better bring someone to hold my hand :P And yeah I know! It's crazy how different everyone's surgery is!
 ~Marisa~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views