Hair loss and Rogaine

Faith2011
on 10/19/11 9:30 am
Can anyone tell me if they have honestly tried Rogaine for women to address their hair loss and if so did it work?  I am curious because I hear it is the best on the market and FDA approved.  I am losing so much hair at this point that I have considered trying it.

Ms. Poker Face
on 10/19/11 9:33 am, edited 10/18/11 10:11 pm
I am losing a lot of hair too! Every day I can't imagine that it will get worse and then it does. Argh.

I have used Rogaine in the past because I suffer from random patches of hair loss. This happens every couple years. I lose patches about the size of a quarter. And it is complete loss. Not one single hair left in that area. No fuzz even. So I've used Rogaine on those areas. It still take a long time for the Rogaine to work. Shoot, maybe it's didn't even help. But I felt like I had to try.

I haven't used any for my current hair loss. I figure that nothing will stop the loss based on what I've read about it. I can't only hope no one notices.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 9:43 am
I've been on men's rogaine foam for years due to female pattern thinning. It does nothing for this type of hair loss. The loss we get is mostly from the shock of rapid weight loss (I've had it when shedding massive lbs before) and rogaine only addresses DHT sensitive follicles.. not the cause we have now. So, while I'm still using it, it is doing nothing for my current shed. Don't waste your money.. The shed starts anywhere from mo 2-5 or so, and will last as long as rapid weight loss lasts.. usually 6mo or so. You will see regrowth before then, but will likely still be losing hairs at a higher than normal rate until your losses slow a bit.. it passes, and it regrows.
Stephanie M.
on 10/19/11 9:52 am
The most effective form of Rogaine for both sexes is extra strength men's foam, which is double the strength of Rogaine for Women. The majority of dermatologists won't even prescribe the women's version because it's too weak, messy to apply and not effective. While it does say for women not to use the men's foam it's only because it can cause growth of facial hair if you're not careful abou****ching where you apply it. There is some evidence that Rogaine can stop or at least lessen chronic Telogen Effluvium, but the type we have after surgery is short term. It may be overkill for that. If you have age related or androgenic PCOS thinning in addition to the effluvium it may be worth a shot.
I hope this helps.

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

newme2011-2012
on 10/19/11 11:11 am
To Silly_sweet that hair loss you describe is called coining...
It is a form of alopethia (sp)
It comes and goes for most..I have a customer (hairdresser here)
That has it and it is getting worse..
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 11:15 am - Joliet, IL
Is hair loss a problem when getting the sleeve?  I am almost ready to get mine but this is the first I have heard of it.  I'm not sure if I am ready too loose my hair again.  Its still growing back in from being on chemo?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views