Slightly off topic.. Sorta..

Ashley O.
on 10/27/11 10:34 pm
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center in Ohio is where I had my surgery done. My surgeon, Dr. Inge runs the Teen & Childhood Obesity forum on this website. They have a whole program there for adolescents getting Bariatric Surgery..

When I was at the hospital for my two month follow up appointment, they were pleased with my progress and aparently i was one of the the shortest hospital stays ever, for them.. I went in on friday morning and left sunday morning. I had already researched a lot before hand and they were surprized how complient I was with everything.. No complications or anything, either. Long story short, there was another girl there.. about a year younger than me, considering the surgery. She hadn't submitted for insurance approval yet. But they asked me to talk to her. So I went over to the room next door and talked to her for I don't know, 15 or 20 minutes.. Answering any questions she had.. her dad too.  They knew I had the sleeve, and thats what they were leaning towards.. But she wasn't sure. I didn't try to sway her any which direction.. toward any specific surgery. I just told her about my experience and that it's different for everyone.

Well. I ended up adding her on facebook the next day and we've talked a couple times. We have a hidden support group page just for the teenagers that had or are having the surgery, with our surgeon.. and she posted on there yesterday thanking me for helping her make her decision and that she just got to submit for insurance approval, and had decided on the sleeve.

i didn't do much, but that felt good knowing that I helped her make such a life changing decision.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

GrandmaJoanie
on 10/27/11 11:11 pm - NJ
Wow great story.  I wish you and her the best results from your new tummies!

lucy2e
on 10/28/11 12:23 am - Laurel, MD
 Awesome job paying it forward!  Kudos!  (oh - and it looks like you are totally rocking your sleeve!)  Keep up the great work!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

tristak
on 10/28/11 1:23 am
You are using all the tools your team has given you!  Paying it forward is the personally the best thing I can think do.

Congratulations

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 148 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views