Bread goes over like lead balloon?

cindibarre
on 10/30/11 9:41 am - Danforth, ME
I'm three months out.  I've been traveling this week and several times I've tried bread products like biscuits, wraps, etc...  Feels like I have lead in my stomach after eating even as much as one bite.  Think that's a good thing but just want to know if others have experienced the same thing.

Cindi

HW - 351 SW 0 342  SurgW - 298!  1st. Seminar July 2010 Surgery  August 1, 2011  
katier825
on 10/30/11 9:57 am
Yes. I always did better with it toasted. It took awhile before I enjoyed a bit of untoasted bread/roll. I will sometimes have a 1/2 of an Arnold Sandwich Thin roll with some deli meat. I'm almost a year out and I still don't eat much bread/toast. A couple of times a week at most usually. I look at things now and ask my self if it's "carb worthy" LOL Many times I pass on things I once loved.
Ms. Poker Face
on 10/30/11 9:58 am
I don't get the lead feeling, but I do travel a lot.  I only do bread stuff when I absolutely have to.  Usually I stick to protein and if I get a sandwich, I eat the contents.  Just wanted to mention the travel bit because I know it can be hard.  But low carb travel is possible!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

1london
on 10/30/11 10:11 am
Yes..bread or anything bread like feels so heavy even going down....even the smallest bite.  I had tried the smallest bite at 3 months and it was not good, so I will leave it alone.  Maybe it is a blessing in disguise since the carbs are so high and I try to stay under 40 a day. :)
I know it must be so much harder when you are away from home....best wishes to you!

ruggie
on 10/30/11 10:40 am - Sacramento, CA
I travel quite a bit, and I deal with this by not eating bread at all.  It's nearly pure carbs, only makes me want to eat more.

When I travel, I bring shake mix in individual, single-serve zip-lock bags, and other easy things like beef jerky, turkey jerky, fish jerky.  If there's a refrigerator in my hotel room, I head out and grab tuna, greek yogurt, etc.

Eating at conferences or restaurants, there's almost always a meat option; I pick out the meat parts to maintain my protein intake.  WIth sandwiches, I just eat the meat from the sandwich.  If there's room left, I have vegetables.  But bread just expands in my stomach, then I can't get in my protein.  I avoid it.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 10:43 am
I also cannot eat bread. Which is a good thing for me because I could down a half loaf of Italian milk bread slathered with butter and a glass of cold milk.  Now a single bite of bread feels like I swallowed an anchor.  I can however eat about 2/3s of a very well toasted skinny bread.  I can also eat a few croutons dipped in marinara or soup.  But more than that is like having a lead weight in my tummy.  I do not eat pasta or rice for the same reasons, they make my stomach feel crummy so basically its empty calories that I would rather eat something else.
thisbe777
on 10/30/11 11:01 am
 soft bread will make me hurl...

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Lisa J.
on 10/31/11 2:31 am - OK
Just because you travel a lot doesn't mean you have to knuckle under to the crap that's out there! There are TONS of healthy choices you can make that don't include bread! And where did you miss the "no bread and other crappy carbs" part of your postop diet plan? Not to sound *****y but seriously, what the heck?

AND ESPECIALLY AT THREE MONTHS OUT!! Dense protein should ALWAYS be your first choice. You CAN eat a sandwich or wrap without the wrap and bread! Wrap it in lettuce.

Especially now, your tummy is still somewhat swollen, in as much as it's still not healed completely. Therefore it's not got as much room in it as it will later on down the line. I'm not promoting eating bread (and it was MY hardest thing to give up) but if you're bound to do it, at least toast it. It compacts differently.

Just say no to bread products for the time being at least. Have the sandwich filler, a pepperoni stick, cheese stick, Greek yogurt, protein bar, chili, refried beans....there are TONS of choices better than something that sits like lead in your gut.
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
vacationlover
on 10/31/11 3:36 am
I don't process bread, crackers, pasta, pastries, cakes, etc well.  I've found that I no longer miss them, especially since I start all of my meals with 2 oz of dense protein- I seldom have room for anything else after the protein.  When I do have a little room, I like to have a small amount of fruit or veggies...

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views