How many oz of food should I be eating at 2 months out?

jennay80
on 11/6/11 7:14 pm - Elmore, OH
 Hello,

I just ordered a food scale off of ebay this morning.  I want to be sure I am not going to over eat, so how many oz should I be eating at one meal?  And how many at my snacks?  I am one of the unfortuante ones who has hunger, REAL hunger, every 3 hours, it is like a baby and my belly gets hungry 3 hours on the clock.  I drink inbetween meals, I have even woken in the middle of the night hungry and I had to take a few bites of something so I could fall back to sleep.  This even gets tiring trying to eat every 3 hours, mad!!!!  I am a busy Mama here and could go 5 hours before surgery without feeling hunger.  I do 3 meals a day and snacks between.  At one meal I can eat 1 scrambled egg with 1/2 piece swiss cheese.  I can't weigh that yet until I get my scale but does this sound normal?

Thanks greatly!

I had the sleeve almost 2 months ago, lost 44 lbs thus far (this includes the 8 lbs I lost during the 2 week liquid diet).  268 the day before my liquid diet, now 224.  Does this sound normal?

blakereimert
on 11/6/11 7:57 pm - TX
It seems to vary for everybody. For me, I am 4 months out and can eat about 4 oz at a time, less if I eat just meat. At two months, I would start with 2 oz. See how you feel. Dont eat until full, just satisfied (Im still learning this). But I would think 2-3 oz at this point.

frisco
on 11/6/11 7:59 pm

Great answer!!!!!

And fewer words than me !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

frisco
on 11/6/11 7:57 pm

For two months out..... One scrambled egg and a 1/2 piece of Swiss sounds just about right......

OK... to be technical...... It's not really the weight of food.....

Your sleeve was sized for volume.....your sleeve doesn't know how much things weigh......

As you get a little further out and start adding more foods it would be best to use containers that are sized..... At about 3 months out.....2-3oz. by volume is about right......

I used to go by volume for everything......some things are hard to measure..... you have to imagine how compact some things would be after chewing.....

That all being said..... I have since started using a scale for measuring proteins.....As far as I can tell from several tests.....it comes out pretty close.

Remember.... always eat under your sleeves capacity....it's not about finding "full"..... looking for full is a risky deal.....So easy to go over when you come so close to the edge.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Happy966
on 11/6/11 8:42 pm

Here is my engineer's perspective about weighing and measuring.  One fluid ounce of water weighs 1.043 ounces on the scale.  Most food is mostly water, so has a similar density to water. 

So a portion of most food, weighed on the scale, occupies less than the same number of fluid ounces measured in a cup (i.e., 2 oz. of water on a scale is 1.92 fluid ounces in a cup).  Denser foods (say, beef jerky) will occupy even less space in a measuring cup. 

So weighing usually underestimates measuring (volume) on an ounce-for-ounce basis.  Foods that are less dense than water (foods that would float in water, which are mostly fats) can be over-estimated by this method.  I can't image eating enough fat to cause a volume problem.  Just my nerdy approach.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Crunchy As Can Be
on 11/7/11 8:02 am - NY
Not nerdy at all-- I love this approach!

Wait... maybe it is nerdy. Does that make me nerdy, too?

Heh. :)
 ~~Emily~~

Paige V.
on 11/6/11 9:31 pm, edited 11/6/11 9:32 pm - Gainesville, FL
all I can really tell you is what I eat and I am a week shy of 2 months.

For breakfast- most mornings I will just have a baby bell (not really a morning eater) but I can eat a sausage link and like three bites of eggs if I cook.

Lunch- I can do 1 ounce of cheese and 1 ounce of meat. Occasionally I will add two crackers to the mix

Dinner- I always measure out exactly 2 ounces of meat, and less than an ounce of veggies. I almost always have at least veggies left over- sometimes meat too. I have days I can tolerate it all and days that I cannot.

Snacks- almost always a cheese stick or 1oz of beef jerky.

This keeps my carbs under 40, my calories right around 600, and the scale dropping =)

(I have lost 33lbs since surgery on 9/14 and and lost 5lbs on my week pre-op diet)

Best of luck to you! =)

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

SassyItalian
on 11/6/11 11:09 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

remember that everyone is different. one persons normal is not everyones

That being said, 2 months out an egg sounds pretty "normal". 2 months out I could probably only eat 1/2 ounce of meat at a stting.

11 months out almost and I eat 2 ounces of meat at a time, a little more if it isnt dense like chili . or 4 ounces of soft stuff like cottage cheese. dont push your sleeve to eat more. take advantage of your restriction.

and make sure you are taking your acid controller, acid can mimic hunger especially at night. if you arent on one it may be the reason you are waking up at night.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Crystal M.
on 11/6/11 11:54 pm - El Paso, TX
I'm two months out, also. I can eat 1/2 an egg, maybe a little more. I can eat only about 1/2 ounce of chicken, or 1 ounce of beef or fish. Soft foods I can eat more of.

I also weighed 268, and lost 6 lbs by having the flu a few weeks before my surgery. Now I weigh 218, so our stats are very similar.

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

edelu
on 11/7/11 4:02 am - los angeles, CA
I'd say 2oz cooked meat, if you have any room after that have a tablespoon of vegetable (it will help with bathroom issues) I don't weigh vegetables just eat what i can get in.  Using your 2 ozs on meat will help you with your hunger issues also.  Eating every three hours isn't bad by the way. Make sure you are weighing cooked meat.  Early on i weighed raw meat and couldn't understand why i was hungry so frequently.  There's a lot of water bleach out of the cooking process.  Good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views