Carbs...Carbs...Carbs... Help!

lavendargirl1
on 11/20/11 10:50 am
So at 6 weeks out, I have stahled. I have been about the same weight now for 10 days. I feel that it is in part because, I have a hard time keeping my carb level below 45.
What are you all eating. I need help and ideas
SassyItalian
on 11/20/11 11:15 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Some meal ideas:

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese bake with sauce, string cheese, chicken salad with rotisserie chicken, slivered almonds, olive oil mayo and a few sliced grapes, chili, tuna salad, egg salad, scrambled eggs, egg white omelettes with feta cheese and spinach, hard boiled eggs..

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

heathermc44
on 11/20/11 12:34 pm - Bremerton, WA
Our bodies are naturally going to go through stalls.  This is a stairstep, not a ramp to our goal.  I think more importantly is to ask yourself if you are getting all your protein in, are you drinking all your water, are you moving your body more, are you staying away from junk food.  If you can honestly answer yes to these questions then I think your body ha**** the pause button but that in no way means you are done.  Give it time, don't obsess if the scale doesn't move.  Take your measurements and notice the changes there.  Are you in smaller clothes? 

Don't panic, take deep breathes and that scale will start moving again, I promise!

sunnymicki
on 11/20/11 1:03 pm, edited 11/20/11 1:04 pm
In addition to the meal ideas sassyitalian listed, I eat lots of fish - mostly tilapia, cod, and salmon.  I make a salmon patty and melt a slice of cheese on top - tons of protein, practically no carbs.

I also do shrimp.  I found a shrimp stir fry that is just veggies, sauce, and shrimp.  I make a side of rice for my husband and daughter, but just eat the shrimp and a few veggies if I have room.  I also found these frozen seasoned shrimp that I pan fry with a tsp of oil, and they are pretty good.  Look in your frozen foods section for some different, easy choices.  Frisco posted about making shrimp cakes, and they sounded really good too.

A couple more ideas: 
- turkey meatballs with a bit of marinara sauce and shredded cheese melted on top
- ground turkey used to make taco filling.  Then serve with taco salad ingredients (minus the chips) like chopped tomato, lettuce, sour cream/greek yogurt, shredded cheese.  Or use a piece of lettuce as a taco shell and eat it that way.
- wraps using lettuce as the shell - layer lettuce piece, cheese piece, spread mayo or honey mustard (or whatever), then either deli meat or shredded grilled chicken pieces, and roll it all up.

Anyhow, that all said, 10 days isn't really a huge stall, although I know it is so frustrating not to see the scale move.  Maybe you are just retaining water right now?  Are you tracking your total intake each day to see how many calories, carbs, and grams of protein you are getting?

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

frisco
on 11/20/11 4:01 pm

I hate to be the wise ass....

But it's a pretty easy concept....maybe harder in practice......

But if it's a carb.....don't put it in your mouth......

And don't even think your carb problem was worse than mine..... I'm Asian and I can't remember a day without Rice.......or dessert for that matter.....

Don't waste the easiest weight loss period....the first six months.....

You can do it.....!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

bunnymom
on 11/20/11 10:58 pm
Hey Frisco--do you ever eat any rice whatsoever now?  Also, do you eat any won-ton wrappers in the form of shumei or potstickers?  OMG those are my 2 favorites in the whole world to eat.  I am just wondering if you allow yourself any of them whatsoever in maintenance.  Thanx.
Bunnymom            
Mom4Jazz
on 11/20/11 10:03 pm, edited 11/20/11 10:03 pm
So Frisco is right...just don't eat carb foods.

Focus on meats first, then some cheeses, limited dairy (meats have almost no carbs, cheeses more and dairy even more). I also have added occasional nuts, but I'm further out. For now, except for protein shakes if you supplement - and I do - that should be about it.

You may need to waste a few carbs on a fiber supplement.

My tip: go to myfitnesspal.com and log everything you eat. When you see a food is throwing your carb count, then "postpone" that food. By postpone, I mean tell yourself, "I can have that food again when I'm in maintenance."

I do have certain carb foods - especially pasta, but most white carbs - that I don't really ever plan to reintroduce to my diet, but most veggies, fruits and whole grains I have on "postpone". Even when I get to maintenance, though, I plan to log my foods as a kind of behavior management thing. I'll just have a higher daily carb allowance then.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 114 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 340 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 388 views