2 Months Post-Op... The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Sweet_56
on 11/24/11 7:26 am - Saskatchewan, Canada

Hi All...

I haven't been keeping up with the message boards or my YouTube account as much as I would like to... I'm going to start working on it..

As of today I am 2 months & 5 days Post-op. My Lil Lenny is working hard, doing well, and he always surprises the doctors with how fantastic he looks (I'll take their word for it)

I recently went to the doctor and had all my Labs taken and he scheduled me for a GI series. My GI was great-minus the barium it was chalky and quite heavy in my stomach.

Any who... My Opinions are:

The Good: I am still able to tolerate everything I have eaten. I haven't been throwing-up sick since day 3 in Mexicali. I have MUCH more energy now, and I am sleeping through the night more often (I tossed and turned a lot before surgery, and would often get up to pee at least once a night). Since surgery my iron has come up slightly (nothing amazing yet, but up is better than down) my clothes are getting loose (!!!) It is amazing to know I have to go get new clothes and it’s not because they are too tight! I still have no sensation of Hunger (this is bitter sweet and could probably go under the bad category, but for me not being hungry is a good thing). I can fasten the seatbelt in all the cars I have been in recently: D. I don't know if this is appropriate to write here but I can also say "bedroom things" are much better with my partner... I am starting to feel much more comfortable about my body and physically more comfortable too. I am more inclined to initiate now than ever before. Lastly, I am down 59 pounds!!!

The Bad: *First this isn't complaining at all... I would do the vsg again in a second and take these side effects!!!* I find it hard to get in the protein and water still unless I am constantly thinking about it... It seems like a 2nd Job. I find if I drink tap water first thing in the morning Lil Lenny tends to become very uneasy and I feel like I may throw up. I now experience slight amounts of heartburn when I eat some foods whether they are mildly spicy or not. I had my first stall and it was mentally exhausting... I knew it was going to happen, but once it did I had a few episodes where I panicked. After watching the numbers on the scale melt for the first 6 weeks to see them just stand still, or *gasp* go up was scary...  I find myself worried that losing 59 pounds in just over 2 months isn’t sufficient or close to what I should be losing for the weight I started at. Lastly, I am cold all the time and that’s worry some as it is just starting to get cold here in Saskatchewan... I feel like I am freezing in -4c whatever will I do once it gets to be say -30c outside? OY VEY!

The Ugly: My B-12 has taken a nose-dive and I have to get injections to level it out for the time being until I can figure out my diet and work the appropriate things into my diet. I’m slightly frustrated about it, but if that’s my only issue I shouldn’t be worried... I no longer go #2 the same... I feel like my routine is completely different... I used to be regular (once a day...Every day) and now I can go 3 or 4 days without anything... I am not uncomfortable or anything it’s just taking some getting used to...I have had a few people ask me if I have Cancer, and I was completely shocked and at a loss for words... I didn’t consider that being something people would assume... I am not hiding what I have done and I quickly fill them in, but I can’t imagine how many people may think it and not bother to approach me.  Being young and social I have a lot of friends who like to eat out and I find that people will invite me to join, but they watch me like hawks.  I can’t tell you how many times people have made comments about my food choices... UGH!!  Lastly, I find that every once in a while I worry that I am not going to function as a thinner healthier version of myself... I have never been healthy sized (I know I have a long way to go, but I still worry).

I hope I am not the only one who has experienced this, or had these worries early out. I think all things considered I am very lucky and I have had an excellent experience.  I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat and I walk with my head held a little higher each day... I just have to work on the Loving Me aspect because I am my own worst critic... I can be down right mean to myself...

Wishing you all continued success!!!
Happy Losing: D

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers 
My Video Log...  Follow as this Fat Canadian Shrinks!! 
www.youtube.com/user/TheShrinkingCanadian

abrown8434
on 11/24/11 7:55 am - VA
CONGRATS; sounds like you have been doing well and perfectly normal (I have most of the same issues--good, bad and ugly).

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

Sweet_56
on 11/24/11 10:14 am - Saskatchewan, Canada
Sweet_56
on 11/24/11 10:15 am - Saskatchewan, Canada
Thank You! I'm glad to hear I am not alone!!
(deactivated member)
on 11/24/11 8:10 am
hey sweet i live in saskatchewan too (saskatoon)!  i'd love to hear more about your experiences with your surgery.
Sweet_56
on 11/24/11 10:16 am - Saskatchewan, Canada

I'd love to share with you and tell you anything you'd like to know! I had a great experience, and he is a very skilled surgeon!

kimberkim
on 11/24/11 8:27 am - Stouffville, Canada
Congratulations on 59lbs! That's nothing to sneeze at. That's awesome! Keep up the good work, and stay warm! I've heard it get's icy there (things like frostbite in 30 seconds on exposed skin).

I am a bit concerned about my B12 level now that you've mentioned it. During my last annual checkup, my doctor found I was low on B12 and have had to start taking B12 supplements.When or if I ever have the surgery, I hope this isn't an issue.

Take care!
Sweet_56
on 11/24/11 10:22 am - Saskatchewan, Canada
Thank you very much :)
My Dr. told me that I will eventually have the ability to keep my b12 at good levels with my food choices. He explained that my body is probably just in a bit of shock still, but that other bariatric patients he has worked who had good b12 prior to surgery have the ability to make up the difference after.

I think now that I am able to get the whole veggies, grains, meats and dairy I should be capable of getting my b12 in check... Ill take the help from the injection in the mean time

Best of luck
pbartlett584
on 11/30/11 4:49 am
Great Post!!! I find myself very much in the same situations as you! I just stalled and I would gain, lose, gain, lose - not much it always leveled out, but it was exhausting, so I had to stop weighing myself. The one morning I gained and out loud said ahh not again... so my 3 year old now steps on the scale and says not a good one mom. Has no idea what the scale says, just knows thats what I said. Whoops!!! Glad to hear you are regretting it and have lost so much!! Great for you that is something to cheer really loud for! Sounds like your Dr. in MJ is great!! Take care, I have been thinking about you, so awesome to hear from you!

VSG - Drs. Aceves/Campos Oct/2011

Re-sleeve - Drs. Ungston/Beltran/Campos - March/2015

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views