Oh, great.

erikalea1970
on 11/29/11 9:03 am - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12
Just did a medical board check on the surgeon I'm meeting on Friday, and it says he had a malpractice settlement last year.  Is it even possible to research the details on something like that?
Krazydoglady
on 11/29/11 9:12 am - FL
Probably not. If he settled, the details are probaby sealed. Having said that, you can check to see if actions were brought against him by the state medical board.  Lawsuits are easy to file, and insurers will settle suits to make them go away even if the case isn't all that strong.  That would worry me less than a disciplinary action by the state board.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

amidwife4u
on 11/29/11 9:25 am
As a health care provider, I have to agree with the previous post.....look to see if there were any disciplinary actions.  Many providers will settle a case just so they don't have to go to trial since going to trial is very expensive.  There are many frivolous law suits. The other advice I would give, is to meet the physician and just ask him.  He may be able to tell you why it was settled without divulging details of the case.

It is possible that someone had a complication due to their own lack of follow through, or delayed or complicated healing due to obesity (we all carry this risk, being obese ourselves which is why we are seeking surgery).  Make sure you really understand the risks before you decide this is the right surgery for you.  There is potential for any of us to have a complication or bad outcome even if everything is done right.....but if there is a complication, many today would seek to sue, even though there was no wrong doing.

Just a thought.

HW 232 SW 218  WT when leaving hospital 219.5
erikalea1970
on 11/29/11 10:04 am - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12
Thanks for those replies.  My first inclination was to ask him about it and not automatically assume the worst, but I also don't want to make foolish decisions just because I want to get things moving along!
laurahuff65
on 11/29/11 10:35 am
 Hello, are you talking about Dr. O? If so,  I did notice that as well before my surgery but my sis absolutely loves him and I really wanted him as my surgeon. So I had my sleeve surgery with him October 24th and my sister had gastric bypass by him 7 yrs ago and everything is great! I would def ask him! He is a great doc and I have NO complaints!
laurahuff65
on 11/29/11 10:38 am
 Oh, there were no displinary action against him regarding that..
erikalea1970
on 11/29/11 11:30 am - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12
No, this is Dr. Fares in Mercer County, NJ (used to be in Hamilton, now has moved to Pennington.) On the state medical board site there are no disciplinary actions against him - just the one settlement.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 200 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views