How did the surgery affect your Social Anxiety?

roobi
on 12/12/11 11:48 pm
 For those that suffer with social anxiety. How did the surgery affect you? I've heard from some that it got worse because with losing weight you automatically get more attention when you go outside. I've also heard that for some its better because allows them to be more social. Anyway, what are your experiences.
wls2011
on 12/12/11 11:56 pm - Ballston Lake, NY
 I didn't really have social anxiety, but was very reserved and introverted at times pre-surgery...I was also self conscious with all the extra weight.

I am much more outgoing and less reserved now....I've even been doing some public speaking and things I never would have done pre-surgery like dance classes...I do seem to get more attention, and it is a bit embarassing when people haven't seen me for awhile and gush over my weight loss and how good I look....I still don't really like to be the center of attention, but at least I don't want to go hide in a hole when talked to....and I don't stay home all the time anymore...I prefer to be out and about and doing things...

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

pbartlett584
on 12/13/11 12:02 am
I wish I could say I didn't have social anxiety.. I never used to, but at my heaviest I really had social anxiety. With losing I thought it would just go away, as I am lighter than I was when I started having it. Nope it is very much hear.. I wish I could explain why, I wish I knew why. I think it is somewhat from the attention, but also when you lose, you don't always lose equally around your body. So for me I still have a lot of fat on my back, but my stomach has really gone down. I hate it! I hope you don't suffer with it!! Good luck!!!

VSG - Drs. Aceves/Campos Oct/2011

Re-sleeve - Drs. Ungston/Beltran/Campos - March/2015

mendez2011
on 12/13/11 12:07 am - CA
I havent had my surgery yet but on this subject, I was always so bubbly and outgoing. I loved to go visit friends, go out, go shopping but that stopped a few years ago, when I got to my heaviest. I didnt realize it then but seeing this post made me think hmmm. My doctor diagnosed me with Generalized social anxiety disorder. Now after reading these, im hoping this will go away after and I can get back to my "social butterfly" name. LOL
Rhonda

julyxo84
on 12/13/11 12:22 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 I had terrible social anxiety before surgery. I still have it, but it's definately not as bad as it was.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 10:59 pm, edited 12/13/11 11:00 pm - plano, TX
I still feel a little nervous in social setting going from invisible to visible is a big change. Before I was literally the 300lb elephant no one wanted to acknowledge. Now it is the opposite I am the skinny pretty girl others want to be mean too. I am introverted and aloof at times so I think that makes me appear stuck up but I am just shy lol.  I think I still have some adjustments to get through. I have fallen into the rut of comparing myself to everyone else in the room am I the smallest. Then I go to the extreme am I too small am I normal it is kinda crazy when I think about all the internal turmoil I put myself through. This surgery is a huge change and takes time and practices getting use to.

I don't do this all the time just sometimes when I am feeling really insecure or in a very new situation.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views