Net Carbs or Total Carbs????

lavendargirl1
on 12/17/11 11:37 am
So I have been trying to really watch my carbs and keep them around 30 a day. Today I needed something to have for afternoon snack, so I bought some Atkins bars, they say total carbs 14 net carbs 3.
What do you all track? Net or actual?
    Life is wonderful, Take time to enjoy it    
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/11 11:41 am
How do you tell which is which on regular food??
susanraywilliams
on 12/17/11 11:48 am
If your going by my nutritionist....total carbs. I don't know why she's opposed to the net but, she is. So, I go by total. I still find myself checking out what the net carbs are just out of curiosity.

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

roundater
on 12/17/11 11:57 am - Lincoln, NE
I go with total carbs. Net carbs seems subjective to me.
Rich Sonderegger

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/11 12:08 pm
Net carbs, but sugar alcohols count. Only subtract fiber grams, because it truly does not digest.

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/11 2:24 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
my son is a type I diabetic, when he has to measure his insulin to carbs he subtracts the fiber from the total carbs and gives his units to the difference.  if the carbs in fiber counted he would have high blood sugars from not enough insulin so i always trust the net. 
Rouxful
on 12/17/11 4:43 pm
 Net Carbs = Total Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohols

The whole point of low-carbing/Atkins is to eat so that it does not raise your glycemic index and you end up in Ketosis (or close to it). Neither fiber nor sugar alcohols raise your glycemic index. And when you're sleeved, trust me...you NEED that fiber bad.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

Ms. Poker Face
on 12/17/11 9:50 pm
I count total carbs, mainly because every carb has 4 calories in it, regardless of whether its fiber or not.

And since I am also counting calories, total carbs matter more to me.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/11 10:47 pm - GA
I'm a huge fan of NET carbs. It's so important we get fiber and NET carbs are much more realistic to a life long eating plan. My NUT and surgeon concur that NET carbs are te way to go.
USAF Wife
on 12/17/11 11:15 pm
Total carbs. Personally, my body doesn't care what type of carb is going in my body, it's a carb. I counted every single carb through my entire losing stage. Considering I followed the rules to a T through my losing stage, I honestly didn't have room for anything other than protein and the carbs I ingested via dairy and greek yogurt. It was impossible for me to eat more unless I cheated and snacked throughout the day, and in between meals. Plus, I didn't have the time, energy or desire to sit there and calculate out the fiber. I was already tracking enough crap. No need to complicate it even more. For me, and me alone, being able to subtract out the fiber was just a way to justify eating more. I did enough justifying eating more long before surgery. It was a behavior I had to stop.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views