only 20g of protein at once?

RosieSweetie21
on 12/17/11 4:21 pm
I am only a few days out, so I am on full liquid phase. When I was reading some posts, someone wrote that 40g protein drinks should be avoided because you should not have more than 20 g of protein at once? Has anyone else heard this? Does anyone know why? GNC sells a 1 serving bottle of a lean shake which is meant as a meal replacement with 25g of protein.
VeronicaJ5
on 12/17/11 4:29 pm - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
Never heard of that mine has 52 in two scoops my nutritionist or dietitian never said anything was wrong with the one I'm taking
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/11 4:36 pm
i've heard it to here. it makes sense though. there has to me a time frame though. "at once" should be more specific. If it's true does that mean that we can only absorb that much within an hour or what? I'd like to know because my drinks have 30 mg in them and sometimes more if I use powders mixed with milk.
Wildoatslady
on 12/17/11 5:52 pm
My nut said the body an only absorb 20-25 gr of protein at a time. She also said totakethe isopure bottles with 40 gr and drink half a bottle at a time.
StartWeight:264
Surgery date 11/23        
Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/17/11 7:21 pm
I take the isopures and mix them with crush ice and sf cranberry juice and sip on them all day!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

HogRider
on 12/17/11 11:03 pm - Jacksonville, FL
The reason you should not take more than 25-30 grams of protein is that the body will only use approx. 25-30 grams at one time. So taking more is just waste. Protein should be spread out during the day to allow the body to absorb better without waste.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
frenchgrapes
on 12/17/11 11:17 pm - TX
That is good to know - about the absorbtion rate. My NUT hadn't said anything like that to me. She did say my protein drinks should be no more than 200 calories, have at least 20 grams protein, and no more than 10 grams carbs. But, my daily protein goal right now is only 60 grams.

Note: Since I've added more solid food to my diet I'm losing only a few ounces instead of a whole pound per day. Still, I've lost 26 pounds in less than a month.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
Crabadams72
on 12/18/11 12:04 am - Silver Spring, MD
That is a myth. I found it in a study USAF wife posted. There is no proof that you body will only absorb 30 grams at one time. Bodybuilders know this. If I can find the study I will post it later.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/11 1:52 am
Yay I like studies not just word of mouth!
HogRider
on 12/18/11 1:54 am - Jacksonville, FL
I stand sort of corrected. Here is a study to explain the absorption process and how to determine your individual need.

Thirty grams of protein per meal seems to have become one of those "nutrition rules of thumb" that has been passed around so long that it has become accepted as an "unbreakable nutrition law." Some people claim that the human body can only digest 30 grams of protein per sitting (others claim the limit is 40 grams).
There has been a lot of research done on protein needs, although not much of it has focused specifically on the maximum amount digestible per meal. There have been studies where a large bolus of protein was eaten at one time rather than in small, frequent meals, and yet positive nitrogen balance was achieved. This would suggest that the 30 grams per meal limit does not exist and that 60 grams over three meals would allow your body to utilize the majority of that 180 grams.

30-40 grams per meal may be a pretty good rule of thumb for bodybuilding diets with an eating frequency of 5-6 small meals per day (slightly less for females). However, I have never found any research which says that the body has a "30 grams at a time" absolute limit and it doesn't seem likely that one fixed amount could apply to every person in every situation, with no accounting for body weight and activity level.

Nutritional needs - including protein - are highly variable depending on the individual. For example, are the protein needs for a 250-pound bodybuilder the same as a 105-pound ballerina? Are they the same for a 17-year-old football player and a sedentary 70-year-old? The obvious answer is no, and this is why you should look at dietary recommendations made as "absolutes" with caution. Instead, it's optimal to think in terms of customization for each individual.

The best way to figure out how much protein you need in one sitting is to first calculate your total daily protein needs. One gram per pound of bodyweight is a common recommendation (for active, strength-trained individuals), although total protein needs should be customized according to age, gender, body size, lean body mass, activity levels, energy status (deficit or surplus) and personal goals. Then take your daily needs and divide that amount by the number of meals you eat each day; usually five or six in a bodybuilding-style nutrition program.

As a bodybuilder or someone participating in regular strength training, the one gram per pound of bodyweight guideline is a pretty good estimate for daily protein needs (although some competitive bodybuilders go as high as 1.25 to 1.5 grams per pound on reduced carb pre-contest diets). If you weigh 180 pounds and you're eating six times per day, then bingo - there's your 30 grams. (180 grams divided by 6 meals). If you're a 240-pound male bodybuilder, and you eat six times per day, now you're up to 40 grams per meal.

If you're a 125 pound female athlete, then 125 grams a day would suffice; spread over 5 meals a day, that's 25 grams per meal. On a pre contest fitness or figure competition diet, many women eat up to 150-175 grams of protein per day, which, over five meals, is 30-35 grams per meal.

Some people think that the 30 grams of protein "rule" was started by protein supplement company marketing because thats the amount of protein they put into each serving of their product. However, looking at these examples, you can see that 30-35 grams of protein per meal is pretty close to the average amount that's consumed on a typical bodybuilding diet. My belief is that this is where the 30-gram "rule" came from - it's simply an average figure. But just because the "average" comes out to around 30 grams per meal, doesn't mean that 30 grams is the most that you can digest.

The digestibility rate of high quality protein sources is 94 to 97% and even the protein in grains and beans is 78-85% digestible. Generally what happens with a large meal, including a large protein intake, is that the meal will simply take longer to digest, but the body will increase the rate of gastric emptying and nutrient absorption in response to the larger food intake. So while the 5 or 6 small meals a day is an accepted practice among bodybuilders, there doesn't seem to be any proof that you couldn't utilize the protein if you took it across only 3 meals instead.

On the other hand, if the total amount of protein exceeds what your body requires and if you are in a caloric surplus, you can convert the excess into body fat. Although protein is the least likely of the macronutrients to be converted to fat (due to an energy inefficient conversion process), a caloric surplus will always lead to fat deposition, even if the surplus comes from protein. In a caloric deficit, protein consumed beyond the body's needs for skeletal muscle and body tissue protein synthesis can be converted to glucose through a process called gluconeogensis.

Bottom line: Even large protein servings can be digested and absorbed, and it appears there is no 30 gram absolute limit. On the other hand, huge servings of protein at one time are not necessary for muscle growth. Beyond what is needed for growth, repair and energy, an excess of protein can get "wasted" if you are referring to being stored as fat or burned for energy.

References
1. Plant proteins in relation to human protein and amino acid nutrition. Young V. and Pellet P., American Journal of clinical Nutrition. 59. pp 1203S-1202S. 1994

2. Protein pulse feeding improves protein retention in elderly women. Arnal, M, et al. American Journal of clinical Nutrition. 69. 1202-1208. 1999
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views