3 days out and im craving food

britt89
on 12/18/11 1:39 pm
 Im not hungry but craving food any tips?

cdavis21
on 12/18/11 2:16 pm - SC
cdavis21
on 12/18/11 2:16 pm - SC

I'm 5 days out and feeling the same way. No tips, but you're not alone!

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/11 2:22 pm
Me too and it's getting worse and worse...
prevsgcrys
on 12/18/11 3:12 pm - OH
i think im mentally hungry.....missing food at times...i hope this fades
frenchgrapes
on 12/18/11 4:11 pm - TX
My doctor prescribed Previcid for me. Supposedly the Prevacid reduces stomach acid. And, supposedly stomach acid mimics hunger. I'm not having the hunger issue but I had to give in the other day and put some blenderized meat in my mouth - deviled ham. A few bites did the trick.

Does eating blenderized fat free cottage cheese, greek yogurt, sugar free apple sauce, and sugar free pudding not helping?
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
Mokey
on 12/18/11 7:11 pm - Atlantic City, NJ
This is totally normal, beacuse food has been a big part of our lives for a long time. I have cravings all the time, but You have to be strong and focus on your goals.... Good luck
        HW 350  SW 344  CW 280

nsblue
on 12/18/11 8:36 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
i dealt with the head hunger a whie back and it is nothing like it use to be.  One has to make a plan when it happens, whether it is to go for a walk... set out to have a behavioural modification plan ... for example mine would kick in when watching tv and those dreaded commercials came up... i even decided to no****ch tv... but that doesnt work. so now i look at a commercial,,, remember what it was like... have no problem there lol then i start thinking of the calories... and it turns me off big time... and then those feelings leave.  I cansip my liquids around others eating.. no prob... i do the same thing if it begins to get to me.... which very rarely now it does. I am almost 2 weeks out... not hungry and can be around others eating and i even bake and cook for others. I decided long ago that I have to change my relationship with food... and be comfortable around it... for i wasnt going to be a recluse... food is very much a social thing... the world doesnt stop just because of me... so i can be around and still stay with my plan.  

denebbers
on 12/18/11 10:36 pm - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
completely normal. we had surgery on our stomach, not our brain. that will never change. i am 8 weeks out and i still crave like crazy- like mokey said, stay strong and focused- specially during the first weeks.

its so important... it does get easier, i promise!!
Happy966
on 12/18/11 10:53 pm

I'm big on acceptance as a coping strategy.  Accept that for a while, you may crave food, or crave foods you choose not to eat right now.  That doesn't mean that you're doing anything wrong - that is perfectly natural and they will pass if you don't act on them.

Food thoughts usually mean I need or want something else, and that just gets translated into my brain as "food."  So when I know I'm not really hungry and I start craving food, I can use it as an opportunity to figure out what it is I really want or need.  Sometimes it's nothing more than boredom, but many times food is simply the first thing that pops into my head when I really want something else (a nap, a hug, a walk).

The important thing for me is to break that knee-jerk response between feeling something and acting on it.  It used to be that if I *felt* something, it meant I needed to do something about it.  My feelings were bigger than I was.  When I understood that I was actually bigger than my feelings, I found that nothing horrible happened if I didn't act on them right away, whatever they were. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 437 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views