Pneumonia after VSG -- any advice?

Fangirl_says
on 12/28/11 12:01 am - NC
I have pneumonia. I've had it several times before, but this is the first time since my surgery. Does anyone have advice? I'm on antibiotics and had prednisone in the ER yesterday. I guess my biggest worry is that I can't get much of anything down right now. I'm still managing to get my multivitamins down, but I can't drink as much water as usual and eating anything is pretty much impossible. If I had any unflavored protein powder, I'd try that mixed with some chicken broth, but I don't have any at the moment.

blakereimert
on 12/28/11 12:09 am - TX
Do you still have the breathing exercise thing from the hospital they make us use right after surgery? if you do or can buy one from the drug store, do this several times a day. Its called a spirometer and this will help with the Atelectasis associated with pneumonia. Don't worry about food right now, your body will be okay, but fluids are dire, so do the best you can to get in water, etc.

Sorry you are not well. I hope you fell better soon. Pneumonia is nothing to play with. Did they give you steroidal inhalers with the antibiotics and oral steroids? These will help too. Good luck!!

Fangirl_says
on 12/28/11 12:18 am - NC
Thanks, blake! I do have a spirometer from past times I had pneumonia, and I'm using that plus the albuterol nebulizer. I'm on steroid inhalers all the time, so I'm still getting that. I'm trying to drink as much as possible, but my stomach feels full and it makes me nauseous to drink. I'm going to try some cream of chicken soup in a little while and see if that goes down okay.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Marcia B.
on 12/28/11 1:16 am - CA
I too go pneumonia after surgery and I just went back to what I had to do when I was healing right after surgery, eating and drinking what I could and tons of rest.  I ate soup when I can but I did not feel well enough to eat much more than maybe an ounce or 2 at a time but I did the sipping water all day and resting.  Hope you feel better soon (I was also on prednisone, albuterol, steroid inhaler and nebulizer and z-pak)
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Fangirl_says
on 12/28/11 1:26 am - NC
Yeah, I didn't think about it, but the post-surgery liquid diet is probably the best thing for me right now. Thanks so much!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views