Insurance says no, so now what

Ron S.
on 1/2/12 10:57 pm
After all the research, I chose VSG over RNY and the bands. Now Tricare has said no based on the surgery being unproven, (policy updated 8/18/11). Not sure how long a surgery has to work for them to move it to proven effective status since I believe the VSG is over 8 years of proven effectiveness.

So now I am faced with doing no surgery and trying to wait them out, or switching to RNY that I really don't want to be rerouted.

Anyone know how to start to get an insurance company to change it's mind?

The doc has offered to do RNY or band, but I am declining them at this point. Something needs to be done, but I was/am convinced VSG was the best option for me. Hate that it has to be an all or nothing decision.

Comments, support please.

JenJune21
on 1/2/12 11:01 pm - North Las Vegas, NV
Do what you feel will be right for you. I used Care Crdit becasue my isnsurance was stupid too!

~Jennifer                            
Louisianawench
on 1/3/12 4:10 am - New Orleans, LA
VSG on 03/21/12
Care credit by GE pays for VSG? Dang I could have had my surgery long ago!!! im on medicaid and started my journey in jan 2011 my surgery date is march 21 2012
JenJune21
on 1/3/12 6:55 am - North Las Vegas, NV
It depend on what you qualify for. They only paid $5000 for me so i had to come up with the rest. It most likely depends on your credit how you will qualify and if you already have GE credit( I did) .

~Jennifer                            
HogRider
on 1/2/12 11:07 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Who is your PCP? Are you enrolled at a local MTF? MTF's only do the sleeve and Tricare will pay for it. I had gone in for the RNY but my surgeon could not do it for other reasons and did the sleeve instead. Tricare paid the bill.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
P_B
on 1/2/12 11:08 pm - Norfolk, VA
Tricare didn't pay for my sleeve the MTF I had my surgery did.

HogRider
on 1/2/12 11:12 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Tricare actually paid for your surgery. The MTF files with Tricare. If you are a dependent Tricare paid for the surgery.
hrford
on 1/2/12 11:16 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 If you really want a VSG then you have two choices, wait till you are stationed somewhere that the MTF does it OR self-pay.  Tricare won't cover it until Medicare does.  It sucks I know.  I'm finally getting mine done in Bethesda.  Most of the large MTFs do it.  So your Hoods or Lewis obviously Bethesda if you aren't Army I don't know about AF and the others.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

HogRider
on 1/2/12 11:39 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Not true.  Medicare does not cover the sleeve.  Tricare generally follows Medicare guidelines but they are not limited by Medicare.  Tricare only covers it at a MTF there are cir****tances dictating another procedure such as what happened to me..  Only dependents can get the sleeve at any MTF they are enrolled in. The army maybe a little different as there are differences between the different Tricare regions.  AF MTF's will not accept  refferal from a civilian PCP and Tricare will not let us go to a MTF unless we are enrolled at the MTF.
hrford
on 1/2/12 11:20 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 I did think of another one.  Get a job at Starbucks!  Even part-time their insurance covers bariatric surgery.  Obviously you'll have to work there for a set time (I have no clue on the particulars) but it is an option.  Or finding any other job where the insurance would cover it.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Most Active