Decision making... surgeons?

moonglo82
on 1/7/12 3:28 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
So, now that I pretty much have determined that I want to be sleeved, I'm trying to make a firm decision about which doctor to use.  I'm pretty much in love with the idea of going to Mexico to see Dr Aceves for my surgery, but before I pay him a deposit and book a date, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything as far as details that should impact my choice. 

Here are the reasons I think I want to go with Dr. Aceves:

1) 3 nights in the hospital are included in his price, instead of 1 night for most doctors nearby
2) price
3) ravingly positive reviews here and elsewhere for him (although some of the doctors out here in Atlanta are pretty popular too...)
4) the fact that his staff doesn't seem to mind talking to me and answering my questions.  I know they have other things to do, but if I'm going to shell out this much money for something, I like to know that I am dealing with someone that I can be comfortable contacting as needed.

I know this sounds silly, but I'm just trying to get a complete picture before I finalize anything.  If I am going to do this, I want to do it at the end of March, so I have a little time to shop around, but not much. 

Thanks!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/12 6:57 pm - reykjavik, Iceland
 hello

i have the same problem :) my husband dont want me to get the surgery in mexico, he want me to get it in london but i want to go to dr. alvarez

i dont know what to do :)

Rouxful
on 1/7/12 7:23 pm
 They don't do the sleeve in Reykjavik?

As far as surgeon's in Mexico, I've heard good things about Dr. Aceves. If you're open to others, I'd recommend mine, Dr. Lopez Corvala. They've got a nice hospital there and Dr. Corvala has a good team that encourages you to call whenever you need anything.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

doggz109
on 1/7/12 8:29 pm, edited 1/7/12 8:30 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Moonglo.....I am not a patient of Dr. Aceves.  However, I have been around OH for almost a year and to be honest and not seen one single negative thing said about his practice from current, past, or future patients.

I think you would be in great hands there and he seems to make excellent sleeves.  

My insurance is paying for my sleeve.....but if I was going to Mexico he would be my choice of surgeon.

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/7/12 9:44 pm
Ditto!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

califsleevin
on 1/8/12 12:53 am - CA
Another alternative to consider on the Euro side of the world is Dr. Baltasar in Spain - he's very big in the DS world and has been doing sleeves/DSs for years.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

gloria P.
on 1/8/12 1:30 am - Fayetteville , AR
VSG on 01/06/12
I didn't want to go out of the US for obvious reasons ie: language barrier, post op problems and such. I'm a registered nurse of 18 years and I'm on post op day 3. I'm in las Vegas and I'm self pay. my insurance only pays $4000 per calendar year and the local doctor wanted 20,000 so I would have paid 16,000. I chose dr umbach of henderson Nevada. you can see him on YouTube. I was set on the sleeve. his cash price was $10,400 for everything. I simply called his office and asked for this price and they said certainly. I scheduled the appointment for the surgery in October and they never asked for a dime in advance. I paid in full with a cashiers check on my pre op visit. I have been so very pleased with my surgery. I have not had excessive pain. I have walked every day. the person that answered the phone at his office was knowledgeable and able to answer my questions to my satisfaction on the first phone call. I still cannot believe how easy they have made this for me. I corresponded by phone and email. krystina is who I talked to at his office. they even sent me a letter that helped me get the time off work for my family medical leave. all this with zero dollars down. I was set on the sleeve and am so glad I got it. you can even have a phone consult with the doctor. I also saw him at the pre op visit, on the day of surgery and I go back tomorrow for the post op. today I'm going to go to the pawn stars pawn shop shopping and I'm staying in Vegas until 1-10-12. I'm so pleased with my journey so far. blossombariatrics.com is his web site and you can get the phone number there. also, my nursing director (I'm an emergency room nurse) just moved from las Vegas and knew of him and while she did not know him personally, she knew of his clinic and the surgery center and had only heard good things and believe me, in the nursing world bad stuff travels fast and good stuff doesn't really get passed around. if you want to talk. reply to a post and you can ask questions if you want but you should pick up the phone. this is the best $10,400 I ever spent. I'm preop weight 234.4 and ha e bad arthritis and want to get to 150-160 asap to help my weight bearing on my bad knee. good luck to you!!
moonglo82
on 1/8/12 2:32 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Wow! Thanks so much everyone I will look into the other doctors that have been mentioned here just in case, but instinctually I really think I will end up with Dr. Aceves, but now I at least feel a lot better about that decision. Thanks again!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 460 views