Any grad students?

moonglo82
on 1/16/12 10:18 am
VSG on 03/29/12

I deliberately planned my surgery date around my school spring break and my work spring break.  Surgery will be during the school (university) spring break, and then I will have all of my work spring break the next week to recover.

I thought I had this figured out, since hubby was driving just a few days after his getting his sleeve.  But hubby seems determined that I need to go ahead and tell my professor for my one on-campus course, which meets Tuesday nights, that I probably won't be there the week after surgery. 

Of course I don't want to push myself too hard and slow down my healing, but I don't want to come across the wrong way, showing up to class tomorrow and saying, "by the way, I already know of a date I can't be here..."  it is, after all, my first semester of this program, oh and btw, the professor is my academic advisor.

What are your thoughts?  The class is Tuesday evenings from 5-8.  It's a little over an hour from home.  Remember, though, that this is during my work spring break, so I would be able to rest up again on Wednesday. 

I figure I need to go in there tomorrow with an idea of what I need to tell her, so that I can plan accordingly well ahead of time.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

fernypants
on 1/16/12 10:36 am - MD
Having dealt with many professors in the course of my graduate studies, and having taught undergrads myself, it is much better to tell your professor several weeks in advance that you may miss one class rather than tell them the day of or ex post facto. Missing one class -- planned several weeks ahead -- will be of no consequence if you don't have attendance issues otherwise. Also, because I made this mistake with a recent injury (not my surgery), I wouldn't count on being well enough to study as you normally would. If you are able to, great. But I wouldn't bank on it. Plan accordingly. Good luck!
Cristie Ferny Pants 343/205/170
moonglo82
on 1/16/12 10:41 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Thanks!  I will go ahead and have a talk with the professor tomorrow night.  I have already told my other professors (for my online courses) that I want to try and get in as much of my work early as possible, so that I don't have to worry about rushing to get anything done as soon as I get home or the day after, and they all seem super supportive. 

Thanks again! 

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

trayb17
on 1/16/12 10:37 am
VSG on 01/05/12
I am a grad student and took the entire semester off. You may very well be able to attend class barring no complications, but I am extremely fatigued at 11 days out and I don't even think I could concentrate. If it were me I would just let the professor know that you are having surgery and are not sure if you will attend that class session. I have found my grad professors to be very understanding about life situations.
moonglo82
on 1/16/12 10:45 am
VSG on 03/29/12

I wish I had known when I registered for my classes that I was going to be having surgery.  But then again, I don't want to put off the surgery until summer, either... so this just seemed like a logical alternative. 

Good to know that grad professors are thought to be reasonable about these things... some of my undergrad professors were brutal about attendance. 

Margo N.
on 1/16/12 11:15 am
I'm a grad student, and was when I had my surgery too. It's a good idea to give your professor advance notice that you may not be able to attend - BUT - I had no problem being back in school within a week of surgery - and I had a long bus commute and walk across campus too, so chances are good that you will be able to make it, especially if you don't have to be working all day before class.

Good luck! You will be in good hands with Dr Aceves and his wonderful team!

Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

moonglo82
on 1/16/12 11:21 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Thanks Margo!  :) 

And I can't wait to be down there in Dr Aceves's care!  It's like March 28th can't get here fast enough!

Tiffyanna
on 1/16/12 11:59 am

Last fall I began working on my second graduate degree and I decided to take this entire spring semester off to prepare for my surgery. I know that some people may be able to deal with the recovery with no issues, however I didn't want to take any chances on not being focused in school.  My thought -- school will always be there and I'll just pick it up again during the fall semester. I want to totally focus on me right now. Best of luck to you,

moonglo82
on 1/16/12 12:41 pm
VSG on 03/29/12

Crunchy As Can Be
on 1/16/12 10:10 pm - NY
I'm in graduate school now but hadn't started my program yet at the time of my surgery.

I know now that if I had been in school the first week or two after surgery I wouldn't have been able to do much good-- I was a zombie!

But everyone is different. Regardless, I'm glad you were open with your instructors-- honestly is always the best policy!
 ~~Emily~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views