Am I doing this right?

Vrtualfire
on 1/16/12 1:02 pm - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
I was sleeved on 1/13 so I am in my first week of clear liquids.  I have had only herbal sleepytime vanilla tea, low carb apple and cranberry juice, and SF jello.  And  a TON of water.  Am I supposed to be incorporating protein in yet?  I *think* I could stomach a premade isopure but not sure.

I am so confused.  I don't want to overdo it, but also don't want to underdo it either.

Any suggestions?

I also just received my unflavored Unjury powder so I did add that to apple juice today but then was afraid I shouldnt be so didnt drink the whole thing. I also have Unjury chick soup but again not sure when I can have it.

Help!

TonyEldridge
on 1/16/12 1:24 pm, edited 1/16/12 1:25 pm - Forney, TX
VSG on 12/28/11 with
 The hospital had me drinking protein drinks before I went home. Once home, I got 70g protein every day through my Nectar powder. My doc and NUT told me that it was vital to get my protein and liquids in. You have to have the protein to aid in the healing process of your surgery. 

Check with your doc for protein amounts. One thing I learned is that every doctor has his/her own regiment and it's important to stick with your doctor's guidelines. 

Good luck!

doggz109
on 1/16/12 1:26 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Just take things slow.  The main important thing at this point is fluids.  Work your way up to 64 oz of fluids....if that is ok....then try some protein in your fluids.  Start slow....if things seem ok...then again...next meal or day try again with some more.  You will get there.

I was sleeved 1/12/12 and I know the feeling of "finding your new limits" even with fluids.  Things feel strange going down, your stomach hurts and you aren't sure if its what you just drank or internal incisions or what.  However, each day drinking has gotten progressively easier and today I was able to drink two 11oz Premier shakes to get 60g of protein in along with my fluid.  It just takes time.
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/12 2:19 pm
You should follow your surgeon's plan for post op nutrition. That said, my plan stressed getting adequate fluid the first week out as the number one priority. Second priority was getting in 60 grams of protein per day. My protein drinks counted as fluid.

A few days with low protein won't kill you, but you do want to start getting it in so you can heal. Try sipping one protein drink in the morning and then another in the afternoon until you can easily get at least 60 grams in per day.
kwiegs3856
on 1/16/12 11:26 pm - PA
VSG on 01/05/12
  The Unjury chicken soup counts as your fluid intake for the day and there is 23grams protein in it.
 It tastes better if you put a sodium free chicken cube in, it hides the protein taste.  Plus, it just feels good and warm on your new tummy!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views