how much at 6 months

anewsweetjessa
on 1/20/12 4:39 pm, edited 1/20/12 4:48 pm - IA
 has anyone found after healing you cant eat much I am at the point where 2 oz is pushing my limits I am juicing to get my extra vitamins and calories I need ..Dr is not happy about the juicing but when you have issues w solids and mushies really what choice do I have anyone feel they;re sleeve has healed tight? I also have stomach and esophagus spasms which also have me heaving and purging not by choice mind you . Just want to know if anyone else has struggled w lil amounts of food? anyone else struggle getting down the large amounts of protein needed heck vitamins are a struggle but I get them down .

BTW the Dr is aware of it I am not getting much help in that direction besides pills and tell me to push protein which I dump from most and I do eat slow and small amounts and it takes me forever 

rosapain
on 1/20/12 7:00 pm - Amityville, NY
Hi,I am 4months out have a really hard time getting my protein in.I saw my surgen at 3 month he tells me I have a vitamin deficit.A,B12,D.I am trying its not easy.As time go on it will get better.I do get very uncomfortable when I force my protein in.BY the way I see you have done a grat job congrats to you,hang in there and best of luck.
Ms. Poker Face
on 1/20/12 8:42 pm, edited 1/20/12 8:43 pm
You've really got a double whammy going on between the tight restriction and trouble with protein.

When you say you dump from protein, what do you mean? Dumping is defined as rapid intestine emptying through your bowels (fast diarrhea), but I'm wondering if you mean vomiting instead? Have you tried all the different types of protein shakes and soups available? If not, I suggest continuing to find proteins that you could keep down. I know I went through quite a few before I found ones I could tolerate (Nectars).

I know a few people here have very right restriction. They deal with it by eating several small meals a day and continuing to use protein shakes to get up to their protein levels. I don't have super tight restriction, but would say my restriction is pretty good (3 oz... maybe 4 at rare times) and I still supplement every day with a protein shake.

Good for you for getting vitamins in even though you are struggling. Deficiencies are real concerns between the small amounts of food and the trouble your're having.

I'm sorry this is not going so great for you. Keep pushing your doc to help you resolve things. And if he doesn't, seek a second opinion. Seriously. Use your PCP to help too. Maybe you need a dilation... or maybe you need it scoped to find out what's going on?

Good luck and I hope you get resolution soon.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Mom4Jazz
on 1/20/12 9:58 pm
I have a very tight sleeve at 9 months. You say 2 oz is pushing your limits, for me 2 oz of dense protein is way past my limits and it's pushing the with softer foods.

I supplement to make sure I get my vitamins and then focus on protein foods. Are you taking a bariatric multivitamin? A good bariatric multi will take care of most of your vitamin needs, plus the capsules 3 times a day are much easier to swallow than the regular vitamin pills. Here's what I take:

Bariatric multi 3x a day
Sublingual B12 (very cheap)
Chewable iron
Calcium with D3 twice a day

You have to take iron and calcium apart.

I also still do protein shakes to help with the protein, as they go down easier and quicker.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

September903
on 1/20/12 10:12 pm
You should soon getting in more than 2oz in. But until then make sure that you are getting in your protein. You should be able to get in more with liquids so I would suggest a GNC protein shake that contains 25grms per shake. You don't want to get weak or low on iron. And also the more protein you take in, the more you'll lose. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 467 views