Surgery a week ago, exercise?

Vrtualfire
on 1/21/12 3:11 am - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
I went to the doctor on the 19th and she said I was doing really well for just getting out of the hospital on the 15th.  She said I could do light exercise, but I am still in a bit of pain and feeling pretty weak still.  I am still out of work for another week and the gym I use is on campus at my work.  Suggestions?  

Tracasa
on 1/21/12 3:24 am
I walk around my neighborhood or I walk up and down the stairs in my house. Walk around the malls carry water. I`m surprised at your Dr. you need to heal for a couple weeks.

has1908
on 1/21/12 3:28 am - TX
 I am 5.5 weeks out and exercise regularly NOW, but I did not feel up to more than light walking around my house (and sometimes not even that) for about the first 3 weeks. Don't do any more than your body says to. If your body says rest, rest. My doc said walk to the end of the driveway and back at first and then add more each day. That was he referred to as exercise at first.

doggz109
on 1/21/12 3:25 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I am 9 days post op.....I have not done any gym "workouts"....but I have walked at least 1 mile every day since surgery.  Going to go out for a 3 mile one with the wife in a bit.  

Walking is a great way to regain your strength.
geo1671
on 1/21/12 3:39 am - KY
VSG on 01/12/12
Once again everybody recovers differently if you feal up to it exercise but only you know how much is too much. All I can do is walk the mall with water but thats fine for me and for now I will get stronger then i will do more.

Edit   Delete  

Edit   Delete  

ruggie
on 1/21/12 4:50 am - Sacramento, CA
Walk, walk, walk.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

SassyItalian
on 1/21/12 4:55 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Thats great that you are doing well BUT

Doing anything other than light walking before 6 weeks (not alot of incline) can give you internal adhesions and a hernia causing you to need more surgery. You shouldnt be lifting anything over 10-15lbs for at least 6 weeks, also.

Your incisions may look healed on the outside, sometimes we forget how major of a surgery we have had because our incisions are tiny. But if you over do it now you will set yourself back.

There is no rush to get back into the swing. Let yourself heal properly. In the meantime, light walking will be ok.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/12 4:56 am
I was allowed only to walk or do the eliptical or treadmill. No lifting of more than 15 pounds and now gym workouts until I was released by my surgeon just prior to six weeks out. I chose to walk around the neighborhood and take the dogs for walks on the trails. I'll start back at the gym next week.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 161 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 433 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views