Quick update and a question about extra skin and how much it weighs

stimpy911
on 1/21/12 11:45 am
How does one tell how much extra weight in extra skin you have after surgery?  I have always been curious about that.  I was lucky not to have too much hanging skin but it is there, especially in my thighs.  I would love to get it removed someday.  Not that I need to have it removed but I want to because I have gone this far to lose the weight that I want to for my own vanity I guess.

On another note, I am going to see a nutrition counselor at the Weight Loss Center at the hospital.  I was doing really good with my weight keeping it in the 240's but over the last 4 or 5 months it has been creeping up and is now in the 260's and my waist size has gone up a little.  This has really started to scare me.  I am sure the stress of midnight shift, getting married, a 3 year old, and a new baby on the way is not helping.  My eating habits have changed from when I was single to being in a relationship with someone who did not have surgery.

Well, just an update for now.  I am at work and gotta back to the grind,

Steve

happyteacher
on 1/21/12 1:17 pm
 Congratulations on the family!  I don't know the first thing about the skin question, but just wanted to say that with your family the eating dynamics change a bit.  You just have to be thoughtful about what you eat, make sure you plan carefully, and try like a demon to avoid extra bites of food.  My girls are older so they understand why I don't sample their freshly baked cookies or divine dinner they made, but it is stil really hard.  You can do this!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Lisa D.
on 1/21/12 1:49 pm - New Orleans, LA
Everyone is different on how much loose skin they have.  I lost 100 lbs and just had my arms and belly done.  They removed 5 lbs of skin.  That may not sound like a lot but at 135 lbs it really is.  I still need my thighs done but that will have to wait until I win the lottery!  I am very happy with my plastics results.   I'm glad you are getting help for your regain before it gets out of control.  You have a lot going on but you have some really good reasons to keep the pounds off!
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

califsleevin
on 1/21/12 2:21 pm - CA
My wife, who lost a little over 200lbs with her DS, had around 14-15lb removed between a lower body lift and thighs, and she needed to get rid of it - it was in the way and impacting the fit of her clothes. You can probably figure on between 5 and 10lb from your description and how far you want to go. I will probably have to have a little trimmed away sometime myself - everything's a bit loose everywhere, but I'll see how things settle for the year or so; no functional impairment, but with the amount of swimming that I do it would be nice to have things tightened up a bit as I'm sure it won't do it on its' own!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

wls2011
on 1/22/12 12:50 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 I've heard people having anywhere from 8-10 lbs of skin/fat removed from procedures. This seems to be a common number with lower amounts or higher amounts depending on how many areas are worked on. The leaner and closer to ideal body fat/weight, the less that would need to be removed and the better the outcome.

I am sure I have a good 5 lbs in my tummy that could come off with a TT. And I'm pretty lean everywhere else, so I think it is mostly loose skiin with a bit of fat.

I'd imagine the thighs would have less pounds of loose skin/fat,  than a larger compact area like an abdomen....but I'm just guessing.

You have done very well in your weight loss and maintenance, and it is good that you are taking a look at it again, and making sure to not gain any more back....it is hard when lifestyle changes are drastic....

Good luck!

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11