VSG to Gastric bypass

stimpy911
on 1/21/12 11:52 am
Has anyone who has started to gain weight back gone from a VSG to a gastric bypass?  I remember my doctor telling me about the VSG being the first step in a bypass surgery so that those with high BMI like I had can lose enough weight to safely have a gastric bypass performed.  Well, I did really well with my VSG but what if my weight comes back and I cant reverse it?  Sorry, I know i have only gained about 30 pounds back but I am freaking out now...

KnitterNY
on 1/21/12 11:57 am - NY
I believe the VSG is the first step in a surgery called the duodenal switch.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/about-duodenal-switch.h tml
HW: 335   SW: 305   CW: 219

SuperRN597
on 1/21/12 12:01 pm
The VSG is the first step for a Duodenal Switch if you chose to have malabsorption.  The DS is very different from the RNY.  Please research this carefully before you make a choice like that.  Having said that, why not get back on the horse and use your VSG tool and get back to basics and to goal.  It can still be done.  Good luck to you on your decision and making it back to goal.
 Sharon 
Consult date 1/11/10   Weight 398.5     Surgery date 3/1/10  Weight 374
HW 400+     CW 196.6    Dr. GW <200   My GW 150

ruggie
on 1/21/12 12:03 pm - Sacramento, CA
They're right about VSG -> DS.

I love Sharon's idea about getting back on the horse.  I'm going to venture that you've been off your diet plan - I mean, lifestyle plan?  What is your protein / carb ratio, how many calories a day are you eating, etc?

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

califsleevin
on 1/21/12 1:39 pm - CA
Generally, the bypass doesn't offer any better regain resistance than the VSG as they are both fundamentally restrictive procedures (the bypass will malabsorb minerals, but not a significant amount of calories.) The DS was my alternate procedure if I felt that I needed better weightloss or regain performance than the VSG offers.

The tricky bit here is that my surgeon's warning on the revision front is that they work best if you catch things early, before regaining significant weight - if you wait until you regain all or the majority of your weight back, it's difficult get the same success as an original/virgin DS or one that was revised from your lower weight. That makes for a real tough decision - who's going to flip the switch before they really have to?

So, do everything you can to arrest and hopefully reverse your regain, or look closely at a revision/completion before things go too far.

Good Luck,

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

doggz109
on 1/21/12 2:02 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Yeah.....the malabsorption procedure after a sleeve is a duodenal switch....not a gastric bypass. 

30 lbs aint much....go back to basics.  You know what to do....stop this in its tracks.
vinnymac
on 1/21/12 2:46 pm - Mobile, AL
WoW! In 2yrs on this forum I can't recall anyone gaining all there weight back they do sometimes gain a little. 30lbs an't **** . Bro the sleeve is the best and safest WLS. You are looking for a miracle cure in WLS. The gastric Bypass will be your last step. what if u start gaining after the Bypass there is nothing else . What I'm trying to say is no WLS will work if you don't make it work. The VSG is the best surgey you will ever need so make it work you can do it. Willpower is a *****

Vinny

Vinny Mac

happyteacher
on 1/21/12 10:37 pm
 OMG Vinny- you are my hero- look at all that weight loss!!!!!!  You lost all of me and a litle more-- DANG I am impressed!!!!  Here I am just trying to lose a little old fifth grader off my fat a$$!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

stimpy911
on 1/21/12 3:04 pm
Yes, I don't want anything else than the sleeve.  I just freaked out a little because I used to be 430 pounds and I was maintaining a long time in the 240's and now to see myself in the 260's was just freaking me out a bit. 

I just needed people here to talk to and set me straight.  I meet with the nutrition counselor next week.  I am going to cut out my caffeine (diet pop) and snacking, and get back to basics as much as possible.   I am getting married in March and I want to lose a few pounds.  

What a great 2 1/2 years though.  Go from morbidly obsese to overweight, to dating, to finding the woman I love, starting the role of dad to her 3 year old daughter who i love very much, and to proposing, and to getting married in March, and finally having a baby this coming September.  Can you say what a ride so far!  I am thankful for my VSG every day.

abrown8434
on 1/21/12 11:30 pm - VA

Awww, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm glad you got your life in a whole new place and you know you got this weight loss thing down bro! Back to basics and you will have no reason to look at a future procedure. VSG will work if you work.

Best of luck to you and your new family! :o)

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV