Low carb- how low is to low?

P_B
on 1/22/12 12:25 pm - Norfolk, VA
So after writing out my nutrition for today I realized I didn't even hit 10 carbs today....thoughts?
I know some people can't function on less than (insert magic # here) but I've had no side effects from the low carbs.
I'm still hitting my protein goal + every day and my liquids too.

smbergie200
on 1/22/12 12:32 pm - Naples, FL
Good for you. I was trying to keep at 20ish for a while and I felt weak and sick. I upped my carbs to 60 to 70 and felt much better. Everyone is different though. I still don't add unecessary carbs to my meals. Chilli with no crackers, Quiche with no crust, stew with no potatoes - etc. My carbs mainly come from things like the sugar in my chobani creek yogurt and my daily slice of eziekial sprouted grain bread. The good thing about the bread for me is the fiber helps me stay regular and healthy and makes me feel more balanced.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

ruggie
on 1/22/12 12:36 pm - Sacramento, CA
It's fine if it's working for you. Just remember a side effect is that you'll be super low on fiber, so if you have trouble staying regular, grab some fiber supplements. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

P_B
on 1/22/12 12:37 pm - Norfolk, VA
Ohhhhh seeee I never connected the lack of fiber from my low carbs making things slow down. I will be buying fiber supplements tomorrow

Lisa D.
on 1/22/12 12:37 pm - New Orleans, LA
I don't think you can be "too low" the first few months.  As long as you feel good and get the protein in you should be fine.  Probably my first 6 months were super low carb.  I wasn't going to do anything to derail my weight loss.  Now in maintenance I try to stay around 40g carbs a day.  It's not bad at all.  You are doing great. 
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

brenda B.
on 1/22/12 3:48 pm - MI
I too agree it's all about how you feel! I did low carb for a couple months(ketosis the whole time) and got terrible headaches (never had them prior) my doctor told me she wasn't going to do any testing until I was eating higher amounts of carbs, ate more carbs and headaches stopped.. just listen to your body!
5'8, 25 years old, registered nurse Emergency Department-nights
HW:310, PreopW:305, SW: 290 CW:234.2 GW: 180-weigh in wednesdays
Surgery December 14th 2011. 15 pounds lost preop
1st month: 21 pounds
Krazydoglady
on 1/22/12 7:49 pm - FL
I stay around 30 carbs in any given day at a year post-op.  For the first 6 months, I was in the 10-20/day range.   Your body will burn protein and body fat for energy. Provided you get adquate protein in your diet to keep your body from metabolizing the protein in your muscles, you should be fine. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

RubyTues
on 1/23/12 12:37 am - Canada
wow I just don't get how you guys are keeping your carbs so low.. I'm really struggling with that one. My dietician said I needed some fibre cereal so I take it and it's 24 carbs right there!