9 Months into my sleeve... Glad I did it.

jthomp7889
on 2/8/12 8:24 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 Hi folks, I am almost 9 months sleeved now and I wanted to give you some feedback as I relied on others when I was seeking info.. I was sleeved 5/12/11 by a great Dr in NC which was a big decision being a self payer. I was tired of being fat. It was a challenge for me having a long term love affair with food, and I still do, but in control now. I had met my goal in about 7-8 months and I am now at a normal BMI of 24ish. So, for those of you thinking about the sleeve all I can tell you is this. Things will change, you will learn the limitations of your new stomach and change habits especially when going out to eat. It is NOT impossible and you it will work out. The best thing you will find is you will feel more confident, comfortable in your skin and better health. Yes, I cannot enjoy a buffet anymore like I used to but I had enough of feeling like crap when I was done. I was worried about missing food but in reality, I eat what I want, anything... I have never ever thrown up, maybe close a few times what that was MY fault. 

Overall, I love my sleeve and would not want my old stomach back,

So, if your thinking it is time for a life improvement, do it. Run to the Dr and make the change. There are  bumps along the way but those bumps will be worse with all that weight hanging off you. Life is short, just don't let your health make it shorter! Best of luck!

kimbethin
on 2/8/12 8:33 am - CA
Congratulations!  Glad to hear you have done so well!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
barbarina
on 2/8/12 8:31 am - CT
Hi there, thank you so much for those inspiring words. I go to this board for knowledge and insight.  I am going to get the sleeve, just found out today that my insurance had approved it so am scheduled for March 6th... yeah.  It hadn't hit me yet, anyway I have to start the low 1,000 calorie diet two weeks prior to surgery, other than that I am all set with all I have to do in preparation, just have to get the chest xray followed by my last pre-op appt with the nutritionist, then I'll be all set.  So is there any advice you want to give me, I would really appreciate it.

Best,
Barbara
jthomp7889
on 2/8/12 8:46 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 Congrats Barb, where are you having it done? I am in Enfield right now! :) I was going to have Umass do it but they only did like 2 sleeves and wanted over 30k so I went to NC and glad I did...

Don't cheat on that diet. Not worth the investment if you can't commit now!

Jeff
Cusscusscutie
on 2/8/12 9:50 am - MA
Jeff you are going to laugh but I was one of the 2 sleeves and they did fantastic! My surgeon has done many sleeves before just not at Umass! Great care!

jthomp7889
on 2/8/12 10:10 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 How cool is that! Wish I knew you then... Actually, they really didn't want to do self pay. ONLY the band and it was still $30k++ so they kinda pushed me out. My brother in law had WLS this past July at Umass and is already down 100! He is doing wonderful! Best of luck!
barbarina
on 2/8/12 10:18 am - CT
Thanks Jeff.  I'm having it done at St. Raphael's Hospital in New Haven, CT and my doctor is one the best so I've been told and have seen his work who now is a mentor of mine.  He is great and his staff so far.  He's young and have done thousands at St. Rapheal's so I'm pretty confident right now.  I'm sure as time goes by I will feel the stress.  I joined the gym last Saturday, only wish I had a buddy to work out with but I have to do what I have to do for me... right.  Take care and thanks for shouting back at me. Cheers.

Barbara

rainsong
on 2/8/12 11:25 pm
Barb, where in CT are you?  I had my sleeve done at Yale with Dr. Bell. 

1 month: 25 lbs; 2 month: 19.5 lb; 3 month: 14.6

barbarina
on 2/9/12 1:53 am - CT
Hi there, I'm having my sleeve done at St. Raphael's Hospital by Dr. Nazdam.  I didn't know the sleeve was this popular, would have done it sooner. Congrats on your sleeve. So how are you adjusting to it and do you have any restrictions?

Barbara
Mike B.
on 2/8/12 9:12 am
That is great that you met your goal that quickly, awesome job. I wish I could say that I never It took me about a month and a half to learn when enough is enough, but now I have no problems. Thanks for posting, it's encouraging to read that more and more people make their goal. I know I'm looking forward to seeing mine.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views