Are all protein shakes created equal?

Crissy327
on 2/10/12 1:42 am - NC
I know you need to look at the carbs and protein counts but I wonder about the quality of the actual proteins. I usually order all my shakes from Unjury.com. I have since day one. I figured if it was working, I wasn't changing a thing. He He.

Now, 7 months later, I am a little over their selection. I am open to the idea of new brands but worry if they will work as well. On Unjury's site, they talk a lot about the quality of the protein. I do know that there are many different types of protein ands so I wonder if maybe they are right that some work better than others for weight loss.

Anyone have experience with that? I wonder if anyone has noticed a difference in loses based on particular brands. I tried Adkins shakes this week for the first time. Strawberry is so yummy. I just worry they won't work the same.

Any advice? Anyone notice any difference?

On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
emelar
on 2/10/12 1:48 am - TX
No, they're not all created equal.

The "best" protein ("best" being most bio-available, easiest to digest) is whey protein isolate, followed by whey protein concentrate, soy proteins isolate and concentrate, cassein, milk, egg, etc.

Anything that has collagen or collagenized protein is useless because it lacks essential amino acids, so our bodies can't use it.

None of the proteins (except collagen) are bad, but given that we have tiny tummies and the food doesn't spend a lot of time in there getting broken down, the most bio-available one will give you the most protein absorption.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Oh, and the collagen will give you nice hair and nails!
Crissy327
on 2/10/12 1:59 am - NC
Hmmm. Very interesting.

You sure know a lot about proteins. Very impressive. I am going to save what you said for future use.
Can I ask what brand you think is best or what shakes you have found with lot of bio-available proteins? Do you know how to tell what type of protein is in the shake? I think some just give total protein count info.

Thanks so much for your information!
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
emelar
on 2/10/12 2:13 am - TX
I've figured it out over the last 15 months. 

Look at the list of ingredients on your shakes or powders.  It should clearly state what kind of protein is in it.  And remember that the ingredients are listed in order of what it has the most of.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold, which lists its ingredients as "Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides)", then a bunch of stuff for flavor.  There are lots of similar protein powders on the market and what you pick depends on your taste.  But always check the labels.

Some of the stuff is deceptive, like the so-called protein shots (Pure Protein comes to mind).  It's ingredients are Purified Water,
Proprietary Protein Blend (Collagen Hydrolysate, Whey
Protein Isolate, Casein ProteinIsolate).  So, out of it's protein content, a big chunk of it is collagen (unusable) and you don't know how much whey or casein is in it.  30%?  10%?  1%?
(deactivated member)
on 2/11/12 4:36 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I ditto Emelar.

I do not absorb caseins, eggs, and the multiple types of protein concentrates, so its essentially a huge waste of money and calories for me. 
emelar
on 2/11/12 6:47 am - TX
Long time, no see!  Missed ya!

So, what are your protein powder choices these days?
(deactivated member)
on 2/11/12 7:00 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
HIya babygurl!!

Same same, nothing can beats ON cake batter and/or Caramel Fudgietruffle thing for the chocolate for the high consumption protein crowd that lives in my belly! 

Youu!?
emelar
on 2/11/12 7:57 am - TX
Same - although the toffee one is more used!  And I've turned to steamers - steamed milk and protein powder.  A few more calories, but real smooth going down. 
rhearob
on 2/10/12 2:17 am - TN
 Definitely NOT created equal.  I look for Whey Protein Isolate shakes.  Its the easiest to absorb.  

Also, I was having serious sugar control issues.  Even the shakes made for Diabetics had too many carbs for me.  When I am looking at shakes I look for shakes with around 140 calories and 30g of Protein.  Carbs as low as I can go.

The best shake I have found for me is Body Fortress Whey Protein Isolate.  They have 130-140 caloreies and 30 g of protein for each 8 oz serving and only 2-3 g of carbs.

Compare that to something like Boost Glucose Control Shakes, that has 190 cal, 16g of protein and 16 g of carb.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

EmilyUT
on 2/10/12 6:29 am - UT
This is the one I use, as well. It is a great price at WalMart and the vanilla mixes well with pumpkin, berries, or spinach/kale/flax to make a great green smoothie. Tastes are very individual, but I think this is a good protein powder!

~Emily

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views