Anyone tried EMDR for emotional eating?

kanga003
on 2/16/12 12:04 am
I've struggled with emotional eating for as long as I can remember... one of my earliest memories (maybe 5?) was trying to get food out of my mom when it was too close to dinner...

I started seeing a new therapist the other day and one of her suggestions was that I might want to consider EMDR and she suggested that I read up on it and that we can talk about it next time, and it is not my only option.... she also has me doing stream of counciousness writting and a few other things...

My issue is that I have NO idea what (if any) trauma I have that lead to emotional eating, so I'm not really sure that it would be effective... though I'm not opposed to giving it a try!

I would love to hear of any experiences any of you might have had with it...

Thanks!!!
Ginmarie7585
on 2/16/12 12:19 am - North Richland Hills, TX
I could have written your statement above. I am going to look into therapy as well. I will look into. Thank you for suggesting this. Please keep me posted. We can do this.
Terry H.
on 2/16/12 12:24 am
 I did try EMDR for a few incidents but not for eating per se - although my therapist thought that clearing up the issues would improve my control.  I found that the events I went through seemed less impactful, but I don't know if that was just paying attention to them or the EMDR.  If I'm honest, I think as much as anything, letting go of the feelings was a choice I made and it was just me being concious of how much I was letting these events rule me.  My treatment was in the early days.  It might be worth you doing more research.

Here is a link to a fairly good source of skeptical thinking on the subject:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/emdr.html 

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

kanga003
on 2/16/12 12:50 am
Thnaks for that Info Terry... it kinda backed up my thouhgts... I'm not sure that it's the right fit for me... but if there was a trauma situation I would certianly give it a shot...
Cedes
on 2/16/12 1:50 am - West Olive, MI
Hi there:).  I am an EMDR trained therapist and have emotional eating issues, so maybe I can offer some insight.  First off, EMDR doesn't have to be about the acute trauma we stereotypically think about..... anything that was difficult in our lives, that caused us to believe something about ourselves, can be addressed with EMDR.  For example, if you emotionally eat because your belief about yourself is you don't deserve something, that you believe you are _____ (inserte negative belief), EMDR just works at changing that.... it is a gentle process because you are kind-of like an observer, noticing things, then moving on.  It is a cool process.  You become more intuned with your body cues too.   It just depends on if you want something different, or the typical talk theray/ behavior modification stuff.  Different things work for different people.  I attend talk therapy, but think that if she were EMDR trained, I would go through that.  It can be a short term thing that aids in the process.
Sorry that was so long.... if you need more info, just message me:). 
Life aint always beautiful, but it is a beautiful ride!           Imagine what you could do, if you could not fail! 

Ticker reflects weight loss post-op.  Lost 14 pre-op.

Feather_Fluff
on 2/18/12 10:49 am - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 02/15/12
 Hi, I have tried EMDR as well as EFT.  EFT(Emotional Freeddom Technique) developed by Gary Craig.  The self tapping was more powerful for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views