Pre-Op Weight Loss?

Christine_TX
on 2/16/12 8:19 am - TX
VSG on 05/23/12
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering on average how much everyone lost prior to surgery and in what time frame?
Also if you could share what worked best for you?
I am going to be starting a pre-op diet on Monday and hoping to loose at much as possible in about 3-4 months I am really going to push myself since my starting weight is so high and was just curious how everyone else did pre op.
kanga003
on 2/16/12 9:09 am
I started at 315... I lost 66lbs in 3.5 months pre op doing super low carb... Good Luck!!! It is SO worth it!
Thicklin
on 2/16/12 9:18 am - TN
VSG on 04/23/12
66 pounds thats is great! I have to lose 10% and its the hardest thing ever. When I started I thought it was going to be a walk in the park but I have failed already once so now this is my second time around and I have my gloves on I'm going to beat this 10% weight loss if it kills me.
kanga003
on 2/16/12 9:22 am
I only had to loose 105 of my EXCESS weight... which was 16lbs... for me I could drop 20lbs in 2-3 weeks on Atkins induction... so I used that to save my butt :-)  That is the ONLY thing that works for me and my body... I was lucky to have already learned that!

(((hugs))) I"m sure you'll get there!!!
Thicklin
on 2/16/12 9:31 am - TN
VSG on 04/23/12

I'm followed the high protein diet that the NUT recommended and I had a slow weight loss.

How often did you exercise. I walk 45 mins a day and I haven't touched a carbs in a two weeks since I started.

kanga003
on 2/16/12 9:37 am
Honestly my exercise sucked... I won't lie...

Make super sure you know what Atkins thinks of as a carb... it's way more than just no bread or rice... I lived on salad, meat, cheese, low carb protien shakes and water... with occasional nuts thrown in... and that accounted for at least 95% of my intake...

Sounds like you're on the right track :-)
Christine_TX
on 2/16/12 10:33 am, edited 2/16/12 10:36 am - TX
VSG on 05/23/12
Wow! 66 That's great I'm hoping for number similar to that, I tried once before and in the 3 month time frame I lost 62...but I have been having such a hard time getting started and motivated this time around. Super low carb? Where you doing Atkins?

**Sorry I posted this before I read all the comments you posted.
Thicklin
on 2/16/12 9:21 am - TN
VSG on 04/23/12

Good luck Christine...if you every want to vent or talk you can hit me up!

Christine_TX
on 2/16/12 10:36 am - TX
VSG on 05/23/12
Thanks Thicklin, it sounds like we are in the same boat, We gotta motivate each other!!
With me I know once I start losing then it gets easier but it's the getting started and sticking with it that has been hard this time, but I am determined!!
pinkpeonies
on 2/16/12 11:38 am
VSG on 04/23/12
What really did it for me this time was splurging and getting myself a Fit*****ttp://www.fitbit.com). It's like a little pedometer that integrates with its own website...you can have it track steps, flights of stairs, extra activity, even sleep. It also integrates with several other apps and websites--I linked mine with My Fitness Pal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com). You enter all your food and exercise at MFP and the two applications "talk" to each other. It's been a huge motivation for me, challenging myself to add steps each day, and make healthier food choices. MFP gives you a running total of calories consumed during the day vs. calories left for the day (of course, you have to enter your food for it to track...).

I'm an information junkie and between the two sites, I get graphs and charts and tables and all sorts of different ways to look at your progress.

I started January 5th and have lost 10.4 lbs just by adding steps to my day and limiting my calories to 1200-1300/day. Some days I go up to 1600 calories, but those are few and far between. Depends on how hungry I am that day. It's helped me make better/healthier food choices. If I'm really hungry, I've thought about what I could have for a meal or snack that won't use up my calories for the day but which will help me be less hungry between meals/snacks.

The two little tools have given me a whole new enthusiasm and I've been talking them up to anyone who'll listen, lol.

Maybe it's something to consider for you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 145 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 419 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 439 views