9 month update - better late than never (long w/pics)

lexy_lady
on 2/25/12 12:33 pm

I had my 9 month post-op visit with my surgeon 2 weeks ago and got my bloodwork results this week.  All is good with my labs - B12 is actually high.  But the doc wants me to add more vitamin D and Iron.  Everyone at the doctor's office was so positive about my progress and really made me feel great (they always do). 

My life has changed so much!  I exercise now and don't completely hate it.  It's just a part of me now.  I fought it at first, didn't want to do it, but now I feel so much better when I do it - I so want to make it a permanent part of my life. 

I find that I crave much healthier food now.  Fried foods don't feel good.  I want to be healthy, so I focus on protein and crave salads for the first time ever.  There are still some foods that I have to be really careful about (ie Mexican, Italian), but my old favortie lunch of cheeseburgers, fries and cokes doesn't tempt me anymore.  I should buy stock in Jennie-O because turkey has become a go-to for me.  Turkey sausage for breakfast, turkey burgers, ground turkey with spaghetti sauce. 

When I started this journey, I was so afraid that I would find a way to fail at this.  But I am only 19 lbs from my goal and a normal BMI.  I am soooo excited to be here.  I work hard at it, but my sleeve has given me the chance to be successful. 

I lost a lot of hair, but I had enough for 2 people, so I don't miss it (much) and I have 2 inch new growth everywhere, so looks like it was only temporary.  I'm not thrilled with the loose skin, but I am thrilled with all the other changes in my life.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Deciding to have surgery is a very individual decision and the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Good luck to those of you just starting your journey and huge thanks to all you who post regularly and have helped guide me through this process.  I learn something every week that helps me be more successful. 

[click here to add/edit a caption] Comments Be the first to comment!  

Leave a comment:

Tags (what's this?) No tags have been added to this photo.   + add a tag  

People in Photo No people have been associated with this photo.   + add a person  

Copy & Paste (what's this?) Link to this photo

Direct Url

HW:280  SW:255  CW:169    

AmberK
on 2/25/12 12:38 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Thanks for posting! Good to hear your story, as I am getting sleeved in a week and a half! 
lexy_lady
on 2/25/12 12:48 pm

At a week and a half before surgery I was a nervous wreck!  Best of luck Amber!  You have such wonderful things to look forward to.

Countrygirl77
on 2/25/12 11:03 pm
 Yay u decided to go for it ;) good decision!!
AmberK
on 2/26/12 12:01 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Thanks! I would have driven everyone crazy if I waited until July! 
jimbovsg
on 2/25/12 12:40 pm
Great work!  Congratulations on your success! Lookin sexy!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

lexy_lady
on 2/25/12 12:52 pm
Thanks Jimbo!  You've been such a great inspiration!  Love the got vsg? t-shirt - what a great idea.
kahlana
on 2/25/12 12:54 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
wow way to go! you look fabulous!

My Blog My Facebook

lexy_lady
on 2/26/12 11:04 am
Thanks!
Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 2/25/12 1:27 pm - LA
VSG on 02/27/12