Hubby's Getting VSG'd Too!!!!!!!

Cajun_Lady1029
on 3/13/12 9:04 am - VA
Revision on 04/16/12
So, this has been a VERY interesting couple of weeks.  I guess I should give some background to this story

The hubby was diagnosed with viral cardiomyopathy and pulmonary hypertension about 2 years ago.  There was no warning and before this, he was a very healthy and active man.  Fast forward to this year, he now has pacemaker, a myrid of pills and several co morbidities that appeared after the heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc etc etc.  Every appointment we go to, someone will say, "losing some of the weight would help your situation tremendously". Ummmmm......REALLY????? The man can't walk up the damn stairs without sounding like he's coughing up a hairball, so how is he supposed to exercise enough to get the weight off??? He's already on a low sodium, low carb diet and he STILL fluctuates between 294 and 303. (the weight has crept up over the last couple of years).

Fast forward to last week. Hubby went with me to my surgeon's appointment. Dr. Elirany took the time to explain to him exactly what he would be doing to me and the science behind it.  Before I knew it, my hubby begins asking Dr. Elirany if he has ever operated on a heart failure patient before.  Turns out, our cardiology group refers patients to Dr. Elirany when they believe WLS will be beneficial to the patient!!!! Dr. Elirany recommended we discuss this option at our next appointment, which was today.

Our cardiologist has given hubby cardiac clearance for the WLS as long as we utilize a cardiac anesthesiologist!!!! OMG!! I didn't even know he was giving this any consideration! Hubby said after watching me do all of my research and listening to me talk about the pros and cons, he decided why not.  The hope is that he will have a better quality of life if his heart doesn't have to work so hard carrying around the extra 100 lbs. he's gained. It will also help with the diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea (all of which exacerbate his condition but didn't appear until AFTER the heart failure was diagnosed! We know that he will eventually need a heart transplant, but the longer he can keep his own heart, the better.

I'm beyond excited about this and wanted to share with my OH family. 
Toni    HW:293  CW:287  SW:TBD  GW:140

"Obstacles are the frightful things you see when you take your eyes of your goal" Henry Ford    
MizzEvil
on 3/13/12 9:16 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
What an awesome journey it will be for you two! You guys will have the best support system in place, eachother! Congrats!
Cajun_Lady1029
on 3/13/12 9:19 am - VA
Revision on 04/16/12
Thank you! He has already been such a huge supporter of me on this journey that this just makes it all the better!

"Obstacles are the frightful things you see when you take your eyes of your goal" Henry Ford    
kimbethin
on 3/13/12 9:31 am - CA
I'm so happy for both of you.  It will be great to support each other along the way.  Congratulations on a healthier family this year!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
onemoretry
on 3/13/12 9:39 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
That is great news! It will be great to have someone in the house going thru this with you, someone that will truly understand.
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

Jamie_45
on 3/13/12 9:40 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
And the bad news is... now you will both have to replace your wardrobes!!!  LOL but seriously, congratulations to both of you.  You will now believe how much your life will change.  I'm only 2 months out and only eating around 650 calories/day and I feel better than I have in years!  We will definitely save a seat on this loser's bench for both of you... what a great adventure

landdnurse2
on 3/13/12 9:46 am, edited 3/13/12 9:47 am - Midwest City, OK
I was sleeved 12/1/11, my husband followed closely behind 12/28/11.  It is so nice to go on this journey together.
Just one word of advice, do not nag him if he doesn't stick  to the same plan you do. My husband has struggled with compliancy. He has lost 31 pounds, I have lost 59.
I haven't said a word as he would eat carbs. On Sunday he asked me to help him to stick to a low-carb and high protein diet. 
We enjoy our gym time together!
Good luck and enjoy the changes you will both be experiencing!

HW 321 (9/08) SW 312 (1/11)  Pre-op 280 (11/1) Surgery 270 (12/11)
kam0520
on 3/13/12 9:51 am - AL
If it is at all possible for you guys, do it on the same day.  My hubby and I did it back to back the same day and it was REALLY helpful.  It is so much easier to go through pre-op and all the steps after when you don't have to watch someone else eat.  We had someone stay with us the first night we came home from the hosptial, but we were fine to be alone after that!  I have semi-documented our whole journey in my blog (in the ticker) if you want to read.  I know how exciting it is to learn that your husband is going for WLS too!!!  Good luck to you both!!
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Cajun_Lady1029
on 3/13/12 9:59 am - VA
Revision on 04/16/12
Thank you everyone. We are excited, but I did suggest he get an account on here and start talking to some of the fellas because his experience will be different from mine.

Thank you for the advice about nagging him.  I don't do it now, I just sit back and watch and wait. Eventually he comes around to my way of thinking but thinks its all his own idea LOL! My gran mama taught me well LOL!

As for having surgery the same day, unfortunately this is not a possibility.  Mine is a revision and is being scheduled sometime in the next couple of weeks. He still has to do the psych eval, meet with the NUT and get his pre-op testing started.  More than likely, I will be a month or so out before he goes in.

Kevin H.
on 3/13/12 10:39 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
Great news!  I wish you both all the best.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views