Day 3

Debra P.
on 3/18/12 2:53 am, edited 3/18/12 2:55 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
Today is my 3rd day out from surgery and I was allowed to try "stage 2" foods... I made malt-o-meal. I measured out 1/4 cup and sat down with my baby spoon. I was only able to get 1/8 cup down when my tummy said "STOP".
It is so strange trying to wrap my mind around getting FULL off of 1/8 cup of anything.
I am doing better everyday, the gas pains are pretty much gone and my tummy is just a little sore. I think the hardest part physically was the hernia repair.
I had gained 8 pounds from the IV fluids while in the hospital and I have lost 6 of those already, so I will begin my countdown probably tomorrow.
Thanks for all the support, and if you are considering this surgery know that I am sure I have had more uncomfortable flu viruses than this experience. This is so much easier than I had anticipated.

AmberK
on 3/18/12 2:55 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Wow, that's early to have malt-o-meal! I am a week and a half out and can only have liquids for three weeks! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

firefly2000
on 3/18/12 3:28 am - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12
 So happy to hear that things are going well for you! I can only hope that recovery goes just as smoothly with me on Tuesday! Day 4 of post-op I can start protein drinks for 2 weeks, and then move to pureed foods for six weeks. I guess this can all change depending on how I am feeling/healing?

Also, I'm glad you mentioned that you will gain weight from all the IV fluides. This is something that I probably would have freaked out about thinking that surgery didn't work for me!!  I am so thankful for OH, and for all the great info that is shared with us newbies!

Lesley
Debra P.
on 3/18/12 5:32 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 My surgeon warned me before hand... "You will receive approx. 4-5 bags of fluid intravenously, so be prepared for a 7-15 pound weight gain".  I gained 8 pounds on 4 bags... and be prepared to have a hard time peeing. The Cathader causes your urethra to swell and only a small amount of urine comes out at a time, so you are literally running to the bathroom every 3 minutes !!  The pressure to pee in my opinion was the worst part. 

onemoretry
on 3/18/12 3:34 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Glad to hear you are doing well Deb. What is malt-o-meal?
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

Debra P.
on 3/18/12 5:23 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 Well, I am on liquids for three weeks too... the malt-o-meal (like cream of wheat) had to be made runny.  I had to be on clear liquids for 3 days and now I am on creamy liquids. My nut advised runny malt-o-meal, yogurt w/o fruit or strained cream of chicken soup. Basically creamy liquids I can not see thru that have no chunks of stuff in it.
I did make up some protein puddings and put them in the fridge. I also have all kinds of protein shakes and drinks I can use. 
Kaiser's meal plan uses NO protein supplements at all, but I used them pre op and intend to use them post op too. They work well for me and I like them.
I just wanted to make sure the first food I tried was one I could live without if I ended up hating it after making it my first choice. Like my dad had a runny poached egg for his first "real food" and he hates them now. I did not want to hate something I really love. I hope that makes some kinda sense. lol

Jamie J.
on 3/18/12 5:37 am - MI
VSG on 03/15/12
 Debra P, it sounds like we are on the same nutritional plan.  I have about 1/8 cup of soup and then water and protein all day.  

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/12 6:06 am
HI Deb,
Glad to hear you're doing so well. Your Richmond Kaiser plan may not use protein supplements, but Kaiser Fremont does. As a matter of fact, I'm supposed to finish the day with a protein supplement anytime I don't meet my protein goals eating "real" food. When I compared the two plans, they had some fundamental differences.  I was told that each Kaiser Bariatric Center creates its own plan. It's interesting how different the various eating plans are.

Hope you continue to do well and keep enjoying the ride. You seem like such an old pro at this already anyhow!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views