1 month post op,some questions for you all

Lisak52
on 3/21/12 3:09 am - NY
VSG on 02/20/12
I have had issues with fluid intake since day one. I am still getting queezy from fluids. It is causing me to not want to drink. I am never meeting my 64oz goal. Any more suggestions. I have tried all kinds of mix in and drinks.
 Also when I eat it hurts.I know I am probably eating to fast. How do you get your self to slow down??? It is so hard to eat more than about 3 bites at anytime. Is this normal for this time period?
Protein, I hate all the powders I have tried. I am trying to add more proteins  but can not bring myself to eat more than 2-3 times a day. What is the best UNFLAVORED protein powder you have found.One that has no bulkiness or residue?

Thanks in advance!!
Began my journey September 2011. Weight 226 lbs
Pre Op 2/20/12  Weight 216 -VSG 2/20/12

emelar
on 3/21/12 3:14 am - TX
Try different temperatures for your fluids.  Hot or room temperature always worked better for me versus cold. 

Your eating sounds pretty normal.  Everyone has different levels of swelling after surgery, and you're probably still a little swollen.  3 bites sounds about right.  One day, out of nowhere, you'll wake up and be able to eat 4-5 bites!

There is no protein powder, unflavored or not, that doesn't have a "taste."  Some are better than others.  I used the Unjury unflavored and it was tolerable.  If all else fails (and you're not lactose intolerant), drink non-fat milk.  If you can add a little protein powder to it, all the better. 
Mom4Jazz
on 3/21/12 3:17 am
How cold are you drinking your drinks? Have you tried room temperature?

On protein drinks the ready-to-drink ones are generally tastier than the powders. More expensive and a little higher calorie, but for now you might try them. I like GNC's Lean Shakes in the blue and white bottle for 25 grams of protein the absolute best. Oh Yeah is also very good.

Or mix some protein powder and a little milk in with sugar-free pudding.

To eat slower, you will need to focus on your eating (we're used to eating and...right now you just need to eat and nothing else). After every bite, put down your utensil and DO NOT PICK IT UP AGAIN until you have chewed your food and swallowed it. I don't know if you're like me, but my husband says I used to have the next bite ready to shovel in before I had halfway chewed the one in my mouth.

Never had any success with unflavored protein.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Allie A.
on 3/21/12 3:52 am - Canada
I'm 5, or is it 6 weeks out and I know how you feel. Try making a slushy drink. Freeze a sugar free juice or drink. You could try diet ginger ale. Freeze it in a cup and then throw it in a blender. You may need to add some liquid to get the right consistency. The cold ice in the tummy feels nice, and flat gingerale could be good for it too.

Unflavored protein is nasty.

And 3-4 bites is normal.
nanadebbie57
on 3/21/12 4:21 am
VSG on 03/07/12
I agree that sometimes warmer fluids go down easier than cold. (And I always loved my icy cold drinks before!) I personally found that Unjury was the best unflavored protein powder -maybe try mixing in only half the recommended amount at once and then the other half later in a different liquid? I also really like their chocolate and another one by "Jay Robb" called "Tropical Dreamsicle" -even my sisters who are not dieting thought it was delicious! Another helpful thing is not to try to "drink" anything like you used to. Just try sipping small amounts all day long. If you fill a 16 oz or 24 oz bottle, you may find you get through it by slowly sipping on it all day. Good luck!

nanadebbie57
on 3/21/12 4:23 am
VSG on 03/07/12
Oh -also, I found that mixing the protein powder with milk or soy milk is SO much better than water! I love Silk vanilla soy milk and so I mix it with that. I have also bought the chocolate soy milk and that works well too!

fran67
on 3/21/12 5:54 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12
I drink my water room temp and sip all day. I'm not hitting my goal yet either but i am getting closer each day. As for protein, I have the Premier chocolate one from Costco. It has 30g so I only need to have two a day (for now). I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I haven't tried an unflavored one yet.

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

Jamie J.
on 3/21/12 8:26 am - MI
VSG on 03/15/12
When eating soup, yogurt or even oatmeal, I stick my spoon verticals in the food and pull it out. I eat only what's on the spoon and my bites aren't too big. I look a little nutty stabbing my food but it works

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 429 views