Why I loved my 6 month waiting period

happymom80
on 3/24/12 3:56 am - MO
VSG on 03/05/12
Just reflecting here...I thought I'd share this with you...

You know I HATED the 6-month waiting period required by insurance...at first. But then not too far into it, an aquaintance of mine told me she got lap band...she had decided to do something and six weeks later it was done. She was the same size as me with little kids too. But she never had time to evaluate which surgery was best for her and address her other food issues. She just didn't have the time to do her research...it was a very sales kind of thing. And she has struggled with it because of that. She learned very quickly that no band (or any surgery) can stop you from eating ice cream sandwiches for 3 meals/day...that the surgery might make you need to eat less, but not want to eat better. During our conversations, she even expressed more than a little regret that she hadn't done more research and that she hadn't taken the time that I was forced to take. That changed my perspective a lot...I began to look at my waiting period as a big opportunity to prepare for the significant life changes up ahead.

I wanted to get the band when I first started. During the first three months of my diet phase, I went from band to RNY to finally landing on the sleeve. I am very happy and confident with my decision...I had time to think about it from every angle. I also had time to begin meeting with a counselor for several months before the surgery. That has been so very helpful! 

Even now, nearly 3 weeks out, I have seen the benefit of that time. I have felt very lonely at times these past several weeks (including the 2 week pre-op liquid stuff). This has led to some significant head hunger battles...plus 1.5 weeks after surgery, I started to get hungry again...not desperate hungry...but I feel it still for sure. I met with my counselor last week for the first time since the surgery and I told him that I have really been struggling with feeling so very lonely. He said that made so much sense.

Prior to surgery, we had talked about how I was tackling my food addiction...but now I'm way into it. I've officially broken up with food...with my friend who kept me company and kept me heavy - protecting me from people getting too close. It's a big deal. And now while I try to figure out what I will replace that attachment with, I am in a season of loneliness and unease. I'm confident in my decision...but now I daily have to make decisions to use my tool and make it work for me and change my habits. It's hard...at least for me it has been hard already...to keep doing the best thing for myself even though every part of me wants to say no way. 

But I'm doing it! So far so good!  I think it would have been impossible for me to break up with my food companion without my VSG. I'm so stinking blessed to have access to this!

Anyhow, that's what I thought about my six month waiting period...if you have one too...embrace it. It can be a very good thing! :-)

HW: 350+ (I didn't look after that)  SW: 328  

beckyinkc
on 3/24/12 5:04 am
VSG on 07/25/12
Good for you for taking a hard look at yourself and making informed, thoughtful decisions to getting yourself health!  I think people should definitely take the time to research and know what to expect and what will be required of you.  (And to figure out what issues really need to be addressed.) 

I'm personally loathing my 6-month "waiting period," but that's because I spent the last year researching everything and lurking on these boards, and I'm ready to get started!  Plus I don't care for my nutritionist. :(

Looks like maybe you're local to the KC area!  I'm in Lenexa.  Anytime you're lonely, or if you'd like to talk to someone who understands and is going through the same stuff, feel free to message me or whatever!  I think there are support groups in the area - I know Dr. Price has some, but I also think there may be an independent one.  I need to get in touch with some of the people who once told me about them and get involved.

I'm really happy that things are working out for you!  Keep up the good work! :)
MonaLyssa33
on 3/24/12 3:12 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17
 My nurse clinician said that those who have had to wait 6 months are usually the most well-prepared for the surgery, so I'm taking my 6 month wait as a good thing.  Do I want the surgery now? Hell yeah.  But I've got to reevaluate everything beforehand.  Good luck in your journey!
Pooch2
on 3/24/12 3:26 pm, edited 3/24/12 4:35 pm
I agree!!   My insurance company required a 6 month class to get surgery, at first I grumbled that it was a waiting period like taking a ticket at the bakery...it took me 1.5 months to get out of the bakery and then I stared getting my head straight.  I lost more weight in their then I have since I had the sleeve....I had given up hope and discovered in there that I can lose weight and that WLS was not going to be my superman cape and that I had to change and that I could change....It was a good thing for me....
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/12 4:50 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
when i first heard about the sleeve (for some reason i never would have ever considered WLS in the past till i heard about the sleeve, it just seemed so different than the others... it made more sense for me), i wanted it NOW.  i would have gone away that weekend knowing as little as possible about it.  just cuz i'm kind of that kind of spontaneous person.  boy would have been in for a big suprise!  lol.  the coordinators i talked to made NO mention about life after.  just made it sound like i fly out to mexico, get the sleeve, come home and voila... i'm cured with no more grehlin and life is on easy street.  would i have succeeded?  don't know, maybe.  shock is sometimes good for the system. 

it's been almost five months since i first came to this site..  i went through days when i was scared ****less to do the surgery (mostly after reading about leaks)... sometimes i wish i had just gone through the surgery first thing and not have even known about complications (i mean i could have had a complication but most likely not and i have anxiety so sometimes for me ignorance is bliss).

i've had second thoughts because well, i know the sleeve is a tool, but i don't want to obsess about food all day, i'm not sure how much time in the day of a life of a sleever is spent thinking about their meals and carbs and calories and whatnot.  i do realize the first while it's imperative to get in your protein and water, which is not a big deal, i'm talking two years down the road.  it made me think, if i have to carb/calorie count why can't i just do this without a sleeve then? 

not so easy.  i am very sure now that the only way to succeed is to be restricted, because i'm a definate volume eater.  i can eat very healthy, i just eat TOO MUCH.  so i'm quite glad i had to wait all this time to get my **** together and if i have to be vigilant for the rest of my life so be it.  better than sitting here and hating myself after i've eaten my third helping of rice and broccoli because i never feel full!

so i think either way i'd have probably been okay i'm glad that i've had time to think this through and know it's the right decision for me 100% but in a way i kinda wish i had done it right away so i would not have ramped myself up with anxiety over complications and worries about what could happen.  i educated myself too much! ack!

happymom80
on 3/24/12 10:38 pm - MO
VSG on 03/05/12
I think it's okay to think about the risks and complications and get that fear out there and dealt with. Eventually, you either have to pull the gun and do it or not...but it's cool to have thought through it all...at least that's how I work.

About four years ago, I started (with another ins company in another state) the 6 month waiting period they required for lap band. Then I got pregnant...miscarried and decided I wanted another baby b4 I did wls. Then we moved out of state. I'm soooo stinking glad I didn't get the band then!

When i first heard about sleeve I thought "no way"! It sounded so extreme to me removing such a large portion of your stomach...it took me a while to wrap my mind around it. But i love it!!! You will too I think!

HW: 350+ (I didn't look after that)  SW: 328  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 386 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 419 views