My first question here. Anybody NOT have PS after WLS?

louisamay
on 3/26/12 3:58 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I am more concerned about losing weight for health and various issues than anything else.  I go in for a psych eval this afternoon, and then will wait for response from insurance company.

But one thing that keeps bothering me is knowing about the skin folds that will be left behind eventually, and that I doubt if we will be able to afford to pay for much if any PS to have them removed.

Has anybody here chosen not to have PS, or been unable to have it for one reason or another?

How do you deal with the folds of skin under your clothes?

My projected weight loss should be 80-100 pounds, to get me right where I should be, if that makes a difference.
heathermc44
on 3/26/12 4:20 am - Bremerton, WA
I think the loose skin is more of an issue for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose (over 150?)  There are many of us who've lost around your projected wl who are not planning on having ps.  It's all a personal issue.  Can I ask how old you are and how long you have been overweight?  The younger you are the easier the skin will bounce back.  Also, as soon as you are cleared for exercise, I would start doing some sort of weight training exercises.  This will help you look better.  It won't shrink the extra skin but it will help the skin drap over some nice muscles. 

Anyway, good luck to you.

louisamay
on 3/26/12 4:26 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Thanks for your quick answer!

I'm 57 and I've been overweight for about twenty years, though it has gotten steadily worse as time has gone on.  I already have sagging skin under my abdomen and folds on my sides/back, so I imagine they will get worse.

bunnymom
on 3/26/12 4:41 am, edited 3/26/12 5:10 am
I am 63, have lost 152 pounds. I have moderate loose skin. I was heavy for a good 20 years. I am forcing my BMI down pretty low (I want it under 20) for this reason: there is always a smidgeon of fat attached to loose skin. A couple of the vets on here say that as their BMI went down, the loose skin seemed to shrink somewhat as well, due to the fat hiding along with it. I am hoping that will help me as well. I am 14 months out and I do pretty intense Zumba 6 hours a week. I am trying to body sculpt with exercise and a low BMI. Everyone says I look incredible. I do not look good with my clothes off, but with the new spanx stuff I am really able to hide most, most of the flab. I have 10 more pounds to go to see the final result. Also, everyone says you need to give yourself a good year, after you reach maintenance, for the skin to retract what it is going to retract. Good luck.
PS--one young gal on here said her abdominal apron/loose skin hung down and covered her pubic area when she was standing up.  I guess I am lucky, as mine only hangs about1/2 inch--ie, it does not even come close to reaching my pubic area.  Some women have taken a toll from multiple pregnancies, so that matters too.  I am able to wear skin-tight tops and skin-tight spanx leggings and look good.  But yes, Good Luck, and in the beginning concentrate on your improving health.  The fussing about your looks, or lack of looks, come at the end of the road.
Bunnymom            
louisamay
on 3/26/12 11:34 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
Thanks for the reminder that this is not my problem now.

The idea of hard workouts sounds overwhelming to me right now, since one of my problems is feeling tired all the time.  When I had to list my primary reason for wanting the surgery at my psych eval yesterday, I surprised myself by writing ENERGY, and meaning it!
bigtigger1010
on 3/26/12 5:41 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
u have time... start a fund now... save a little here and there... i started a smarty pig acct, so it will take a couple of days to transfer to my reg bank if i have an emergency, but i'll be less likely to use it for non-emergency

I started one for PS, clothes, and renewing my vows in a real princess wedding dress!... they have a 0.7% interest rate, which is great, and u can have auto deduct from ur reg bank acct and or add funds whenever u want

i have auto deduct and plan to add our leftover grocery budget into our goals (my husband also made one for PS, he'll be getting sleeved shortly after me) If u end up not needing or wanting to do PS u can always use the $ for a nice vacation or new clothes

GOOD LUCK TO U!

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

louisamay
on 3/26/12 11:31 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
Now I have to start a smarty pig account. I'd never heard of one until your message. Thank you!
bigtigger1010
on 3/27/12 1:17 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
No problem! I'd have never known if a friend didn't tell me... I gotta pay it forward :-)

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

bigmama3
on 3/26/12 5:42 am

For what it's worth, I lost almost 100 pounds (98.6--below my goal of 95) and I don't have issues with excess skin.  Of course, I have a little, but no one notices--in fact, I wear tight fitting clothes and my abdomen is "wash board" skinny.

I'm also 51 (52 in May)--there are some individuals who need surgery and others who don't.  I wouldn't assume that you will need plastics...you may be surprised.

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

louisamay
on 3/26/12 11:29 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
That's amazing! Congratulations!  In my case, I already have skin hanging below my abdomen so I don't know how I'll be able to avoid it, but it's okay. I'd rather have to deal with skin than fat!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 374 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 414 views