Grocery store roasted chickens

LaughingCow
on 3/27/12 4:48 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with

I got one the other day to make chicken enchiladas and chicken salad with.  The chicken from it is sooooo much better than what I usually make.  Do you guys know if they do something unhealthy with them to get them to taste so good?  If they're excessively fatty (I remove the skin, of course) or they have tons of chemically flavorings injected in them, I'd rather stick with my own recipes. 

Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Jennifer H.
on 3/27/12 4:51 am - TX
VSG on 01/17/12
I've watched the local stores here prep the chickens for the oven and all I see them do is rub them with spices and put oranges and lemons in the cavity. I have rotisserie chicken rub at home and I make my own, but it's so much easier to pick one up at the store.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/12 4:55 am
They tend to have more fat as it is rotisserie.  And, often the added salt keeps them plump.  I am not suggesting you shouldn't eat them.  I do.  But I don't eat enchiladas.
INgirl
on 3/27/12 4:56 am
I'm sure they are the usual water/sodium/broth injected birds, other than kosher and organic, most chickens are done this way. Plus they are brined to within an inch of their lives! I like them regardless. When I make my own, I do a heavy brine (recipes on the net), and add some bay leaves and crushed garlic and get them moist and tender that way.
Ms. Poker Face
on 3/27/12 4:56 am
They typically add salt either through basting or through injection to keep them really moist and to boost flavor.  So watch out for the added sodium.  But I do eat them out of convenience at times.  Makes for many meals, too!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Vicki J.
on 3/27/12 4:57 am - VA
This is a great question!  I use those all of the time too!  They do have the nutrition facts on a sticker on the package of the ones I buy and I don't remember them being too awfully bad!  The sodium may be higher due to the flavor injections or whatever they use to enhance the flavor of the meat...I'll pay special attention the next time I buy one!

-Vicki

SD: 07/07/11     Height:  5'9-1/2"     SW: 283     GW:  170     Current Weight:  167

newme2011-2012
on 3/27/12 5:11 am
I get at least one a week and sometimes 2.
Unless chickens are on sale for 79 cents a pound they are cheaper than doing it yourself and so much quicker..
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

MyOwnSunshine
on 3/27/12 5:38 am
I LOVE Costco Rotisserie Chicken!  There is an entry for it on myfitnesspal -- you could check there and see what the difference is between plain boneless skinless chicken and rotisserie chicken.

" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
momsy55
on 3/27/12 5:57 am - ME
I buy them sometimes too.  They are so convenient and tasty.   Also, I'm not usually fond of meat from Wally World, but they sell marinated pork roasts, I believe by Smithfield, that are not very fatty.  We love the rosemary olive oil one the best so far.  They are small roasts, so when I get home from work, I just open the package, put in the oven and we eat about 1 1/2 to 2 hours later. 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views