How can it be?

Debra P.
on 4/1/12 2:01 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 I am two weeks out and the scale hasn't moved in a week !! I am getting about 300 - 400 calories a day and 60 - 80 oz of water. How can the scale stand still for a whole week?

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/1/12 2:11 am
It's very normal and happens to almost everyone here.  An explanation:

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

Keep following your plan and this too shall pass.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

seeingmyselfthere
on 4/1/12 2:28 am
VSG on 03/07/12
 Omg!!!! so helpful - i've been in a stall for almost 2 weeks. any idea how long this could last? and does this happen more or less every 10lb interval? 

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/1/12 2:31 am
For me, I lose in a stair-step fashion.  Lose really well for a week, then stall for 2-3 weeks.  This is how I lost all of my 96 pounds so far.  Frustrating at first, but I'm very used to it now.  And I can't argue with the overall result!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

seeingmyselfthere
on 4/1/12 3:14 am
VSG on 03/07/12
 thank you so much - this is so helpful. :-)

Mom4Jazz
on 4/1/12 6:02 am
Hey there! I lost the same way - lose well, pause, lose well, pause. At first the pauses freaked me out and I felt like a failure. After a while, I got used to them. Never liked them, but didn't get stressed.

I've lost 161 lbs in a stair step manner, and lots of other folks have been as successful. If that's you, try to take it in stride.

I did weigh only once a week because of it. Some weeks - down 5 lbs. Other weeks - nada.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

pinkjellybean
on 4/1/12 6:11 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
I will be 9 weeks out from surgery this Wednesday and I can honestly say that the scale moves differently for everyone but as long as you follow your plan it will work!

For me I lost for 2 weeks, then nothing at all for 2 weeks..........then I lost for a week and nother for another 2 weeks....now I have been losing for 2 weeks.  It's just how the wind blows I think!

Keep your chin up and stick to the plan and all will be well!

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

joaniejml
on 4/1/12 3:27 pm - CA
my surgery was 11/21/12 and i have only lost 38 lbs! Its always up and down and it is really frustrating!  I just keep plugging along and keep remembering my surgon said it will take 2 years to lose it all . He said to throw out my scale..well thats not going to happen lol..hearing all of you saying the same thing is really encouraging!!! thank you all for posting..
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views