Finally deciding to take my life back!

auntiemel
on 4/3/12 8:50 am - Lake Stevens, WA
I'm 31 years old and have been fat for the past 12 years or so. I struggled with anorexia in high school because my dad was always calling me fat and that if i could pinch an inch I needed to lose weight. He was physically and emotionally abusive to my mom, sisters, and I.

After I got a fiance and started feeling decent about eating in front of him all hell broke loose lol.

I don't know what happened but I kept gaining weight. It was like my body rebeling against me.

I've tried for 10 years or so to lose weight and I'd lose a little and gain even more back. I've tried South Beach, Slim Fast, Weigh****chers, the gym, and more to lose weight and I can't keep it off.

I was talking to a gal at work that just had gastric bypass and I was always one of "those people" that said "I don't need surgery, thats a cop out, thats the easy way out." When in fact I think I was just jealous of them taking control of their weight. The gal I was talking to told me about the sleeve since my only reason for not doing surgery was because I didn't want a foreign object in me and I didn't want my intestines re-routed. It was like a light bulb went off!!!!

I researched everything I could and decided to do it!

I looked up my insurance info and found the Northwest Weight Loss Surgery center in Everet****hey had a lot of great reviews. I didnt' know what doctor to choose so the receptionist picked her fave doc for me. I love Dr. Michaelson. When I went into my consult he told me I was more knowledgable than med students he's seen!!! Makes me feel good lol. (I went to school for medical assisting and I want to be a Nurse Practitioner someday)

I had my first meeting with my nutritionist this week and can't believe how much my portions really were! The size of fruit is supposed to be like a tennis ball....the oranges I buy are huge and so are the apples. I was eating almost 6 or 7 servings of fruit a day! and 2-3 servings of chicken at one meal...

I told my husband I'm going to do this and he supports me although he thought that I was just going to go have my fat cut off...lol...he's silly.
Marabell
on 4/3/12 9:24 am
VSG on 06/07/12
That's exactly how I was....thought it was a cop out...I am strong..I don't need no stinkin surgery LOL
Then I educated myself about VSG and took over two years to think about it...once I made the decision..I never looked back..I just wish they would hurry up and approve me already!

moonglo82
on 4/3/12 9:30 am
VSG on 03/29/12
You'll be so glad you did this! I'm only five days out, and I'm sore, but my blood sugar is already dropping, and that alone proves to me that I have made the right decision.

I can't wait to follow your progress! Congrats, and keep us posted!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

NUJoyce
on 4/3/12 11:36 am - Hayward, CA
So excited for you to take this step towards a new you!    I was really educated about the surgery and requested the sleeve over the others.   I have not regretted my decision and I will be 6 months out tomorrow.

roundater
on 4/3/12 11:42 am - Lincoln, NE
Congrats on your decision. Once you have your sleeve you will never regret it.
Rich Sonderegger

A2Z_Mom
on 4/3/12 12:16 pm - Ellisville, MO
VSG on 04/09/12
Felt the exact same way as you about WLS. Once I educated myself, realized it is NOT the easy way out but a tool to help me succeed... I am sooo ready to get going!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views